Help cooling Northbridge

Guest Digy

Hello,

I have an Antec P183 that I just got and am having trouble cooling my northbridge. I have an ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Formula MB with a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU. I have the CPU cooled with an H50 exhausting air in a push pull config with two Silenx 120mm fans cooling the radiator and exhausting air,,, I have two intake fans on the front, one for HDD in the lower chamber, and one in the upper part near the MB/GPU area... Also I have put the top fan as an intake, because it is keeping my NB temps down by 5 deg. Celsius.

Here are my load temps...

CPU - 42-45 Celsius

MB - 35-37 Celsius

NB - 48-53 Celsius

SB - 42 - 45 Celsius

And Idle...

CPU - 35-37 Celsius

MB - 35 Celsius

NB - 45 Celsius

SB - 39-41 Celsius

I added some pics so you can understand my setup.

post-76307-0-03258500-1311133098_thumb.jpg

post-76307-0-42558600-1311133159_thumb.jpg

SO what I would like to know is how to get my NB cooler (and SB) and how to get the top fan to stop making this annoying whining noise when it is on?

And Here Are the specs of my PC

-Antec P183

-ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

-XFX ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 125W (w/ Corsair H50)

-OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU

-OCZ Gold 16GB DDR3 133 (4 x 4GB)

-WD Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

-LG 10x Blu-Ray Burner

-Rosewill Internal Card Reader

Edited by Digy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can probably see, your NB is getting little or no air. If you cant do anything about it (attaching fan), get Antec SpotCool.

That doesn't seem very hot at all :huh:, how are those silenx fans btw?? Are they worth the money?

Pretty Good, they were the only ones TigerDirect had on hand that were quiet, they move air well, although their motors get really hot and they have this weird smell, like plasticy or something. But they work pretty well. So you say those are good temps, because I'm not overclocking and I've heard that people have had problems with the heatsinks... See what bothers me is that I can't find the maximum temps of my board so I don;t know if my computer is fine or not... I would like to overclock, but want to ensure the stability of my computer first.

As you can probably see, your NB is getting little or no air. If you cant do anything about it (attaching fan), get Antec SpotCool.

How's Antec SpotCool? Is it good? And how should I position it? (Where should it blow?)

How's Antec SpotCool? Is it good? And how should I position it? (Where should it blow?)

Position it towards the NB. If i am not wrong, the NB is under the right side of your GPU. and remember 60C and your PC will restart. So 53C is cutting close. and if you can apply a good thermal paste. My board (not the same ones as yours :P) reaches these temps too and i even manged to make my PC restart once by hitting 60C :doh:. But i am changing my setup so i am not bothering to manage the temps. Even gettign a dedicated GPU didn't solve the temp problem.:fp:.

Edited by Goth

Position it towards the NB. If i am not wrong, the NB is under the right side of your GPU. and remember 60C and your PC will restart. So 53C is cutting close. and if you can apply a good thermal paste. My board (not the same ones as yours :P) reaches these temps too and i even manged to make my PC restart once by hitting 60C :doh:. But i am changing my setup so i am not bothering to manage the temps. Even gettign a dedicated GPU didn't solve the temp problem.:fp:.

I remember I once reached 61C on my NB, and it stayed on... The BIOS is set to shutdown at 70C on my rig. Although I thought the NB is left of the CPU where the heatsink is... I'll google it, :google: although I don;t understand how a dedicated GPU could solve anything... I always get one, I've never seen integrated graphics as a good idea any day, I'm confused now, why are we talking about dedicated GPUs? :doh:

It all depends on the way the motherboard is configured. Maybe it uses the NB to help out on the Onboard GPU but I could have sworn that was the SB that handled that. Oh well.

I would go grab some Arctic Ceramique or some thermal pads off Frozencpu.com or Sidewindercomputers.com and installed a new pad or tim on the NB chip.

The NB is just below or south the Zif socket and above the First PCI-express slot (where you place the chip). the chips power metering system is Directly West of the chip Or a genarically the mosfets. The lower HS area just east of the Expansion lanes is where the SB is.

There are a hand full of options here so I listed a few that I think will help.

1: Option would be to find a way to get air out of the case more effectively. The worst thing working against you at this time is the Exhaust everywhere Video card. Its superheat is getting involved with the NB and this will not help Idle or load temps. Try to get a rear exhaust video card as it would be a benifit for the NB and everything else inside the case. They are not perfect and produce radiant heat but a actual rear exhaust video card would drop down the temps of mostly everything in the case in general.

2: having the top vent as an intake is not a good idea. This will eventually after gaming for some time let heat down and back in. Switch it to an exhaust unless its the only thing keeping the Processor cool. And to go with that all its doing from the diagram is pushing down on the heat that the Video card is sending upward.

3: Modify it to hearts content. First take the Upper hard drive rack out and place a better fan there. Possibly add a top exhaust if there is room for another 120mm fan. Maybe a fan or two below the video card to help move air upward? (OK now I need to mod something right fast. )

4: More air effective case. I know that case is a nicely rounded antec But there are some key places it suffers its design. Without getting to hard into that I would say maybe another case would be a good move or modifying the one you have. But this would be a last ditch effort to cool the system with the case.

Here is a phot below of the board layout. Follow along above and you shall understand the locations.

Chipset waterblock

ASUS makes great mobo's, but they use crap TIM :whistling: I know on my REIII they used this junk yellow TIM that was a PITA to remove. But, once I replaced it with Shin Etsu, my NB and SB temps dropped noticiably :biggrin: I would suggest replacing the factory crap with some decent TIM, and I have money to bet that you see a drop in temps! Adding fans is always a good option, but it is more important to start off with a good TIM and solid contact with the heatsink, and I would imagine they used the same yellow junk on your Crosshair as they did on my Rampage :cheers:

But, like Mythos said, those temps really don't seem high to me.

My boards video is controlled by NB. I dont know about these beasts :P. Still NB controls the video function. and SB audio.

OP, i was saying that NB controls video, the more graphic intensive crap you do, the more it heats up. Like Take a 1080p video, play it on VLC, Turn on the Deinterlace and set the Deinterlace mode to yadif x2. and DING! My PC 'retarded' after awhile! The last temp reading on NB i saw was 58C. So in short, a dedicated GPU takes the load off. Simple.

Now i am not completely sure that these beasts of boards have their limits set too. For all i know its 60C.

Just dont confuse yourself. The easiest way is getting the SpotColl. The safer way is, take your PC apart (yes tiring if you just assembled it), take the NB heatsink off, Put a better Thermal Compound after cleaning the previous one properly and also cleaning the Heatsink thoroughly. Then put everything back. and SpotCool it :P. No more tension.

Edited by Goth

I had a Crosshair IV Formula and I didnt have any NB cooling problems even when my 1090T was at 4.2GHz . Maybe your board had a crappier Thermal paste job ?