Upgrading memory from DDR2 to DDR3

Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading my current DDR2's to DDR3's. The problem is that my current CPU and RAM are overclocked. Now, if I change to DDR3 then do I have to overclock or underclock my DDR3 or CPU for the system to work?

My current setup info is in my profile and the DDR3 that I'm thinking of buying is here

Thanks!

Unless your overclock is being limited by your ddr2 memory than I'd leave things as they are. You won't receive noticable gains from the nanometer shrink (going from ddr2 to ddr3)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading my current DDR2's to DDR3's. The problem is that my current CPU and RAM are overclocked. Now, if I change to DDR3 then do I have to overclock or underclock my DDR3 or CPU for the system to work?

My current setup info is in my profile and the DDR3 that I'm thinking of buying is here

Thanks!

Not many boards actually support the use of both DDR2 and DDR3, im surprised to see your board actually does. Looks like it will only take 2 1.5v dimms for a max of 4GB of DDR3 ram... Your not going to see any real world performance increase from the 890mhz you run now to the 1333mhz that ram your looking at can do. It would however show in benchmarks if thats your thing.

Do you plan on upgrading your MoBo/CPU anytime soon?

Not many boards actually support the use of both DDR2 and DDR3, im surprised to see your board actually does. Looks like it will only take 2 1.5v dimms for a max of 4GB of DDR3 ram... Your not going to see any real world performance increase from the 890mhz you run now to the 1333mhz that ram your looking at can do. It would however show in benchmarks if thats your thing.

Do you plan on upgrading your MoBo/CPU anytime soon?

Nope. I'd rather go with HD upgrade to SSD then. That should probably give higher improvement performance wise.

Nope. I'd rather go with HD upgrade to SSD then. That should probably give higher improvement performance wise.

It's the single best upgrade you can do for performance on the old butt dyno...you will notice the most speed increase with an SSD. I just recently plopped on in my rig and it is like it finally woke up lol

I was going to recommend your money to spent on an SSD instead, glad you thought of this already! I got an SSD a few months ago, so amazing. As far as noticeable performance increase in all tasks the SSD really takes the cake. I have my OS, and just a few games on my SSD and everything that runs off my SSD is incredibly fast.

I 3rd the motion to get an SSD, aim to get a 120GB or bigger. Anything less is a very limited experience

stupid.gifHes right anything below 120GB is a very limited experience. I have a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD(thank god I got the 34nm version even though I bought it after the switch to 24nm) and its used as my boot drive.

Its blazing fast but it doesn't hold alot of data.

I don't have alot of space on it to install other programs I use daily so get a SSD thats at least 120gb.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred