going to Windows 7

nice_shoes

My wife's notebook is a Dell Inspiron 1505 with a Core 2 Duo and 1 MB RAM........it came with Windows Vista and it's been nothing but trouble..........slow start ups and shut downs........constant upgrades, etc.

I finally had enough and just ordered Windows 7 64-bit tonight, and I'm going to convert that notebook to Windows 7. But, I'm not sure the best way to do it.........

1. should I just put the new Windows 7 disk in the notebook and let it load on top of Vista, or do I need to delete Vista before starting?
  2. if I need to get rid of Vista, should I just do a simple C: drive format?
  3. or should I use something like KillDisk to wipe the C: drive?

I didn't order the Windows 7 upgrade, I ordered the OEM 64-bit version.

All comments are welcome.

Backup, then just format your C drive/ Hard disk. Best way.

:withstupid: Getting rid of anything Vista related is the best way to go. There is no need to format with a special utility, just use Windows' built-in formatting tool.

For this laptop and your own computer, you insist on using Windows 7 64 bit but yet the highest RAM is 2GB. Why do you do this? 64 bit is to allow you to use more than 4GB of RAM. You are just running extra resources and bogging down the computer more when it would run better on Windows 7 32 bit.

For this laptop and your own computer, you insist on using Windows 7 64 bit but yet the highest RAM is 2GB. Why do you do this? 64 bit is to allow you to use more than 4GB of RAM. You are just running extra resources and bogging down the computer more when it would run better on Windows 7 32 bit.

Not necessarily, I've known people who use nothing but 64 bit, no matter what their ram, and they run fine. I do think, however, that the OP needs to get more ram, as the minimum req's for Win7 are 2 gb's of ram. It might not even install.

Not necessarily, I've known people who use nothing but 64 bit, no matter what their ram, and they run fine. I do think, however, that the OP needs to get more ram, as the minimum req's for Win7 are 2 gb's of ram. It might not even install.

64-bit takes advantage of the extra RAM by using more resources to run processes, and in some cases, to run processes that 32-bit doesn't. Trying to do anything serious on 64-bit without the proper resources is not a good idea.

Umm, you're going to need more than 1 gb RAM if you fully intend to utilize 64 bit.
yes, thanks very much for catching that mistake.............I just called to void the order for Windows 7 64- bit, and I will re-order Windows 7 32-bit so that it should be OK with the 1MB in her notebook.............for the issue of the install, it seems like a simple format c: command should be enough, is that correct?

for the issue of the install, it seems like a simple format c: command should be enough, is that correct?

The Win7 OEM disk has a partition manager that you can use to format the C drive. Win 7 also will create a 100MB partition when you format the disk, but this will be hidden after you install. I think its a small recovery tool set or something, I'm not sure.

Your notebook will run the 32 bit w7 fine ,much better than it ran Vista, just make sure when you start off the disk you do a clean install, which means format c from the w7 disk and remove vista totally, do not let it do an upgrade from vista.

well, another change of plans.........originally I made a mistake and ordered the 64 bit Windows 7 OEM, but the notebook computer only has 1GB RAM. So, I voided the order and was going to re-order Windows 7 32 bit. But, in the end, I decided to get Windows 7 64 bit and also ordered 2GB RAM for the notebook for about the same price: [Windows 7 64 bit + 2GB = $107] versus [Windows 7 32 bit = $100]. Seems like most folks are recommending a simple format C: using the new Windows 7 OEM disk, rather than KillDisk or anything like that.......

Seems like most folks are recommending a simple format C: using the new Windows 7 OEM disk, rather than KillDisk or anything like that.......

You only need to use something like killdisk if you have sensitive information on the drive and want it removed beyond any possible recovery. Programs like Killdisk, Dban, Eraser etc do "secure wipes" where the drive is over written multiple times with pseudo-random data. A simple quick format is all you really need. There is no performance difference or other advantage to doing a more complete wipe.