MINECRAFT

BluePanda

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my skyblock map so far.

I've got a cobblestone generator, tree farm, melon farm, cactus and sugar cane farm, pool (for fishing) and an area for mobs to spawn. The only thing I screwed up was getting rid of all my grass so now I can't spawn friendly mobs.

Pretty awesome, you always come up with some neat building designs. :D

Although it looks a little bit on the unsafe side to me, too many narrow walkways, I always like to have a wall around the edge of a sky structure to help ensure there won't be any falling off.

Also, you don't really have to worry about keeping grass around, or at least I don't think you do, I haven't actually tested growing tall grass on dirt so maybe you do. As far as pigs and cows go, they're pretty much never going to spawn for this challenge, I played for hours and hours, only ever saw two pigs spawn.

Slick, i need to try that map.

EDIT: Trying it.

Cant get my tree to drop saplings.... not fair. :mellow:

I had that same problem, my original tree didn't drop a single sapling, personally I think it's unfair for someone to have to restart because of something like that, the player simply has no control over that sort of thing after all.

Once you do get one going where you are getting saplings though, it's pretty easy from that point on, especially since you can easily expand the island with cobblestone. That way you don't have to worry about saplings falling off the edges.

Edited by Deathmineral

Snap.........

I got some kind of glitch. I jumped and stuck.... when i quit and came back i was in a cave surrounded by mobs??? So i lost like 8 dirt...........

Not to mention 11 sapplings 20 wood and my last pick.

Ah well, the map is great fun, good challenge.

Snap.........

I got some kind of glitch. I jumped and stuck.... when i quit and came back i was in a cave surrounded by mobs??? So i lost like 8 dirt...........

Not to mention 11 sapplings 20 wood and my last pick.

Ah well, the map is great fun, good challenge.

That stinks.

I had to restart the map once because my first tree didn't drop any saplings. It would be nice if they added a sapling to the chest just in case. I've been trying to think of a way to kill the mobs without using lava. I want the lava for the cobblestone generator. It's just annoying to have to rebuild that walkway just to go collect the stuff they drop.

That stinks.

I had to restart the map once because my first tree didn't drop any saplings. It would be nice if they added a sapling to the chest just in case. I've been trying to think of a way to kill the mobs without using lava. I want the lava for the cobblestone generator. It's just annoying to have to rebuild that walkway just to go collect the stuff they drop.

Make a mob grinder...

That stinks.

I found the most effective way was to build a wall that you can stand behind on the mob platform with a small open all along it. For example, built it 4 blocks high, leave the second from the bottom space open, but place half blocks there, then use the top (4th) space and extend that out a block towards the area where mobs will be spawning, that way spiders can't just climb over, in the end it ends up looking a bit like a bunker so that's kind of neat. That's how I did it anyway, works pretty well, aside from creepers blowing up from when skeletons shoot them, I keep repair blocks in a chest inside the bunker though it's not a big deal.

Some folks on the MC forums suggested only making the monster spawning area 2 blocks high as well, that way endermen won't spawn and steal blocks.

Edit: I'll be on the server for a little while tonight by the way, if anyone wants to hop on and build stuff with me. :D

Edited by Deathmineral

I found the most effective way was to build a wall that you can stand behind on the mob platform with a small open all along it. For example, built it 4 blocks high, leave the second from the bottom space open, but place half blocks there, then use the top (4th) space and extend that out a block towards the area where mobs will be spawning, that way spiders can't just climb over, in the end it ends up looking a bit like a bunker so that's kind of neat. That's how I did it anyway, works pretty well, aside from creepers blowing up from when skeletons shoot them, I keep repair blocks in a chest inside the bunker though it's not a big deal.

Some folks on the MC forums suggested only making the monster spawning area 2 blocks high as well, that way endermen won't spawn and steal blocks.

I like the 2block high idea to keep enderman out. I can't wait for the 1.9 update when enderman won't be able to move blocks (at least that's the rumor I heard).

I like the 2block high idea to keep enderman out. I can't wait for the 1.9 update when enderman won't be able to move blocks (at least that's the rumor I heard).

Same here, I like having mobs around, because it helps me come up with more interesting building designs but endermen really do cause more trouble than one would like. You're right though, 1.9 will be removing that feature from the endemen, notch himself said so.

Okay so I've just setup my own little minecraft server, this one has some mods installed, only three at the moment but they're pretty handy.

The mods I have installed right now are Weather Control, Chest Lock, and another one called Vehicle Exit, can't be bothered to find a link for it though, it's passive anyway, it just gives back boats and minecarts when you exit them.

Anyway, feel free to hop on and try it out a little bit, ip is 24.52.45.165, tell me what you guys think and if there are any other mods you think would be useful. :D

Okay so I've just setup my own little minecraft server, this one has some mods installed, only three at the moment but they're pretty handy.

The mods I have installed right now are Weather Control, Chest Lock, and another one called Vehicle Exit, can't be bothered to find a link for it though, it's passive anyway, it just gives back boats and minecarts when you exit them.

Anyway, feel free to hop on and try it out a little bit, ip is 24.52.45.165, tell me what you guys think and if there are any other mods you think would be useful. :D

I spawned in water so I quit haha