Just finished my first build!

NerdGoneWild

My personal recommendation: Allocate $150 for a nice 22" 1680x1050 monitor, and the other $250 on a cheap 560ti.

Your standard of living will increase tremendously.

My personal recommendation: Allocate $150 for a nice 22" 1680x1050 monitor, and the other $250 on a cheap 560ti.

Your standard of living will increase tremendously.

haha I know man, my brother just bought my dad a 22" monitor for fathers day...I was pretty jealous. But I plan to get a new monitor for christmas, been looking at them also, from 22-24".

haha I know man, my brother just bought my dad a 22" monitor for fathers day...I was pretty jealous. But I plan to get a new monitor for christmas, been looking at them also, from 22-24".

I only say 22" because for some reason you can pretty easily find a decent one for around $100 usually a little under, which would give you a good amount of money for the graphics card. As it stands right now a 2-3 generation old card could run circles around your resolution and there's little benefit to getting a super card for it.

• 1 month later...

Sooo! It has been a while since I posted but my birthday just passed. My girl got me a 23" LED Asus monitor! :D and the hyper 212 plus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

I still have not been able to pick up the graphics card as I had to spend $1,400 on my car =(

does anyone have an older system they want to part with? I want to get my grandma a computer! :P

Looking very neat inside, what graphics card have you put in it at the moment tho?

Also what work have you been doing on the car?

As in my sig, just using old Geforce 8500GT XFX. 512mb, It is pretty worthless for games now days...Wish I could of picked up the 560ti like I planned for my birthday but had to change the alternator, all the power steering hoses, and rebuilt the power steering pump and removed the HICAS(rear wheel steering).

And thanks for compliment on neatness, it is my first build and that was actually a factor I was worried about. I really like the way the 932 case is designed, made it easy to build and keep things neat.

I had a 430 elite for my last build and I was damn impressed with myself, in the end, because I had no room at all for cables.

Just be thankfull, you know how to change all that because a mechanic and auto elec, would have charged through the roof for such a job on the car.

• 3 months later...

So great news, I just ordered the new graphics card! I did go with a little less then planned because just buying a house set me back a bit.

Anyways this is what I went with, please let me know your thoughts, I am a nvidia fan so didn't go with radeon.

GTX 560ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

Nerd, congratulations on your first build and welcome to the wonderful world of the Computing DIYer. There is something very satisfying about building your own PC and those early moments when it first fires up or you first get your favorite game running on it. I would offer a small bit of advice, do not let the hardware become the be-all of your computing experience. To many people I know are so wrapped up in the hardware they forget it exists solely for the purpose of running the software, it is about using the PC. They get all focused on benchmarks and tweaks and forget that the actual use is the reason for all that effort.

A truly great PC build is one where you get so wrapped up in doing what you do with your PC, in our case gaming, that you forget what hardware you have because it does not matter, the game does.

So run a benchmark or two real quick and stand in pride over the fact you built the PC yourself and then forget all that crap, grab a great game and forget about the hardware!

• 2 weeks later...

Just added a new goodie, girl got me the Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers for x mas! :) These things are insane for under 150$ Playing league of legends and Skyrim how it should be now! :D

Hey Ed, Thank you for your insight. I love having the nice parts but I definitely have got lost in the games and what this beast enables me to do.