i5-2500k idle temps seem outrageous.

Specs:

i5-2500K OC'd to 4.4Ghz at 1.3V

Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Antec twelve hundred (7 fans)

Radeon HD 6970 OC'd to 900mhz

Corsair 750TX PSU

Anyway, I just built this thing and I was a little iffy on the CPU cooler installation, so I've been fretting for a while about my temps. 10 min of prime95 gives me a max temp of 69, which I'm fine with. However, it idles at around 43, which seems really high to me. I've read about people getting 30 with the same CPU and cooler. I live in the Pacific Northwest so my ambient temp is never very high. Should I be worried about that idle temp, or am I just being paranoid...?

Thanks for any help!

It looks actually really good for 4.4Ghz @ 1.3V. The people you are reading about probably have C1E / speed step enabled, and it clocks down and undervolts the CPU while idling. I assume you disabled that like all hard core overclockers do. I think you are fine. The load temp temp looks maybe a tad high, but within safety margins I think. You really only need to worry about 75-80+ temps. I think you mounted it fine. What thermal grease did you use? What is the Ambient temp? Anyway, Sweet OC :thumbsup:

I have an X58 + i7 930 though, so I can't test myself what the temps would be at that speed and voltage. I know you should be running cooler than me if we had similar clocks, and I do about 38C on idle @ 3Ghz (1.15vcore 1.5vuncore). and about 58C w/ prime 95. I have a thermaltake frio. (ambient is about 80F). If I punched up my clocks to your level, I would totally surpass those temps.

Edited by 90sgamer

Can't all overclocks these days have speedstep/C1E/Cool N Quiet enabled?

I guess you could technically use it all the time, but I have just always been in the habit of disabling it immediately. I thought it was pretty much common practice because the systematic lowering of the CPU frequency and vcore could screw you up by not providing as much voltage as needed. For instance, If I had a 4.4Ghz OC w/ 1.3V vcore and speed step clocked it down to 2.2Ghz, how do we know its going to get enough voltage to run at that speed? I don't know how the speedstep changes are calculated, but since the default is 3.3Ghz, if it went down to 1.64Ghz whos to to say in the same scenario it would provide the voltage needed for 2.2Ghz when OC'd? Its too much bother to worry about IMO. I think its easier to keep a OC'd system stable without C1E.

Some can some cannot. Alot of the time you get the issue of coming out of C3 state and that causes a hang when it moves from a low clock to a higher clock with a voltage change. That tends to produce issues but again it depends on the system at hand.

As far as the temperatures go.

How long has it been sense you put the hsf on, have you reseated it lately and what kind of tim did you use?

Idle around 43c you say? I have a 2010 i3-550 (non-sandy bridge) and I have it overclocked to 4.5Ghz 1.3v; idles at 30-32C. When it's maxed out in LinX hottest it EVER has gotten is 70C but it averages at around 68C. That's what I get for my dual core. Would a quad-core get hotter idles? Because if that's the case, your fine.

Quad cores usually Idle and load higher as there is more power being used to operate a second set of cores.

Most all newer duel cores Idle around 30 or even lower then that depending on ambient and load out lower depending on the OC.

Most all Quad cores will Idle at 30 or above depending on the ambient and the overclock.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "all". But yes, many sane overclocks on modern hardware will continue to run completely stable with some power/heat saving features turned on.

However, especially with the Windows 7 performance power plan - if you take cpu voltage off of auto in BIOS and manually input a cpu voltage, you no longer get voltage stepping on some x58 boards. I know for sure that the Asus P6TD series and MSI Big Bang xPower x58 boards have this handicap. I've yet to figure out whether it is a BIOS issue or Windows issue.

Anyway, speedstep still worked fine. Just no voltage reductions.

if you take cpu voltage off of auto in BIOS and manually input a cpu voltage, you no longer get voltage stepping on some x58 boards.

:thumbsup: Good to know. I was always worried about voltage stepping compromising my stability with constantly changing voltages. I guess speedstep might not help as much with lowering power consumption or heat at idle if your OC has a higher voltage its using the whole time though.

But really, how many of us actually use speedstop/C1E on OC'd computers, even it we could?

PS. Sorry we have hijacked this tread from safe temps to OC'ed speedstep. Its all my fault! :doh:

But really, how many of us actually use speedstop/C1E on OC'd computers, even it we could?

I always leave those options enabled (with the exception of C1E on my Phenom II...it throttles SATA performance when it's on. Speedstep/CnQ is enabled though.).

EDIT: This is Waco - I forgot to sign into my account. :P

Edited by BluePanda

I leave mine on...

I always leave those options enabled (with the exception of C1E on my Phenom II...it throttles SATA performance when it's on. Speedstep/CnQ is enabled though.).

Does it really throttle SATA performance? I leave C1E on, and it doesn't seem like it affects performance at all.