Do i need a CPU Cooler

MAX4U

those 1st gen i7's can run 70-80c all day long with little issue. Its going over 80 that starts to get bad, 90 isnt horrible but 90 for long periods will shorten the life of the CPU.

IMO your stock cooler is on wrong. Gotta make sure its clipped in solid. Those Intel stock heatsink mounting pins SUUUUCCKKK and even when you think they are in... they arent. You should be able to grab the heatsink and lift the mobo slightly off the table only but lifting the on the heatsink. If the heatsink pops off, it wasnt on right.

To be honest... the stock heatsink is garbage. Just buy a cooler master Hyper 212+ and go with that. It will do stock speeds just fine, and you will OC 3.6-4.0Ghz with the Hyper 212+ depending on the particular chip you have.

thats true. I remember my last rig with intel 845 board had solid locking system . Had to turn the two levers and it worked like a charm even without a thermal for years:)

but dont know why intel changed the cooler from 102 boards and i even broke the cooler pins while installing my friends:)

was going to buy a hyper 212+ its very affordable. But second thoughts for noctua 12p as was prefering the best one.

But my cabinet CM STORM ENFORCER has limited air supply when compared to other full tower cabinets.

Will noctua perform well in this cabinet.? Or else i can rollback to hyper.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats true. I remember my last rig with intel 845 board had solid locking system . Had to turn the two levers and it worked like a charm even without a thermal for years:)

but dont know why intel changed the cooler from 102 boards and i even broke the cooler pins while installing my friends:)

was going to buy a hyper 212+ its very affordable. But second thoughts for noctua 12p as was prefering the best one.

But my cabinet CM STORM ENFORCER has limited air supply when compared to other full tower cabinets.

Will noctua perform well in this cabinet.? Or else i can rollback to hyper.

any ideas to reuse/recycle the stock cooler. Shall take out the fan and put in some where in the cabinet. And it also supports speed control. Lol:)

Its the cooler teehee.gif, lol. Just get yourself a cheap Hyper 212+, if you really wanna go all out, get the best of the best in the NH-D14. But otherwise save a few bucks and grab the 212+. Im telling you the stock cooler just sucks, i had the same issue with my i7. Stock cooler = 85c+ in prime95. Didnt matter how many times i put new tim on remounted the cooler it just sucked! Put my Megahalems and 2x 90CFM fans... Now i run 68c @ 4.0Ghz!

Its the cooler teehee.gif, lol. Just get yourself a cheap Hyper 212+, if you really wanna go all out, get the best of the best in the NH-D14. But otherwise save a few bucks and grab the 212+. Im telling you the stock cooler just sucks, i had the same issue with my i7. Stock cooler = 85c+ in prime95. Didnt matter how many times i put new tim on remounted the cooler it just sucked! Put my Megahalems and 2x 90CFM fans... Now i run 68c @ 4.0Ghz!

wow... that consoles me..:) lol... there should be an option to buy an i7 without the crappy cooler and save some bucks .. how about noctua nh12p cause D14 is a bit pricy..

I really hope its the cooler :) Just buy the cooler these guys are telling you to but.... stock cooling does suckQ

it its the procy i shall screw intel for that..:)