is Netbook worth buying right now?

jk336699

I haven't used an Atom based netbook before, so I can't comment on those. I currently have a CULV (Consumer Ultra Low Voltage) laptop. They are usually priced the same around the medium to higher-end netbooks (Dual Atoms and Nvidia Ion ones; $300-500).

Mine is an Intel Dual Core Celeron SU2300 @ 1.2 GHz (the slowest dual core celeron). They provide more performance than an Atom (still not what a regular laptop processor would be), however at the cost of battery life (this was based on how things were when I bought them, could still be the same or different with the newer processors). My laptop was an entry-level model $350-ish and it gets roughly 3 hours on Performance Power Setting (1-2 years ago). They come with a full size keyboard and LCD screens are usually from 10.1" to 13".

My Thoughts on the Acer Aspire AS1410 Laptop

Still waiting for those Tegra laptops that are suppose to give me battery life in days. I'm so glad I didn't wait a year ago when I bought this, because we still don't have Tegra laptops :P nVidia put Tegra into tablets instead :(

Edited by Krazyxazn

None of those things are easy to do on a tablet and are a breeze on any netbook.

I agree with you Waco, however for those who want a solid media/internet browser for their home, tablets are nice. I do not have one nor am I saying they're better for all tings, they just fill a certain niche. I will never trade a physical keyboard for a touch screen for the purposes of taking notes/writing documents haha

I have been happy with my HP mini 311 Atom/ION based netbook. The biggest addition to it was the SSD that drove battery life up to almost 6 hours, boot times in the 20 second range and just a more responsive feel. Adding another GB of memory for a total of 3 also helped improve responsiveness. Is it as powerful as my day to day rig? Not a chance but it does well for what it is. It is running Window Pro 32bit instead of the home premium version it was sent with.

The problem is that tablets seem to be the way that people are going.

I had an Aspire 1 for about a year. The lack of a built in CD drive was a PITA, but if you use it for what it's meant for, it's a great little thing if nothing else will do. However, it'll be a whole lot easier just to get a new battery for your current laptop.

The lower power of the netbooks makes for better battery life. If dragging to class for note taking, I can see this as an advantage. With prices of "real" notebooks in the dual core variety being so low I can never force myself into a netbook, but battery life is not big deal for me. I just bought a new dual core Levono 14 inch for 390 from Levono outlet and it will eat a netbook's lunch.

I say just get a replacement for the battery like what they mention above. At ebay it should be cheaper by a bunch.

I've used a netbook before and they are made for surfing and watching videos and even at that they their slow.....

I enjoy so much the 14h(originally, now at 93.4% of its capacity after 1½ year) battery life and portability of my Eee 1005PE! I would never go back to a bigger laptop.

As Frank said, add a fast SSD in there and it becomes a completely new machine. If you take one with a single-core Atom, forget about using Windows 7 Starter, even if it comes with it.

On mine, I run Linux Mint Debian Edition and it's so far the better performing and easy to use OS I've tried. I use the ASUS Super Hybrid Engine extensively, and honestly in downclocked mode, that is 800MHz, I can do pretty much anything except watching a video on Youtube.

Dude I had a netbook for about a year, with the combination of my desktop and phone. It really is a waste of money in my opinion. Just invest in a good laptop and smartphone combination and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Edited by MJCRO

Dude I had a netbook for about a year, with the combination of my desktop and phone. It really is a waste of money in my opinion. Just invest in a good laptop and smartphone combination and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Why do you think that and what were you trying to do with it?

At school it does wonders at distracting me from paying attention in class or falling asleep in class. At home it sits next to my PC on a KVM and basically becomes a replacement for all daily computer use, except for gaming. You can cut down the power bill :P

At home it sits next to my PC on a KVM and basically becomes a replacement for all daily computer use, except for gaming. You can cut down the power bill :P

Same here, It sits on my desk besides my tower which I fire up only for gaming.

Oh by the way, if you want to be in dual-screen and use resolutions larget than 1400x1050 with the Intel IGP in the Nxxx Atoms, only the open-source drivers will allow you. These capabilities are locked down in Intel's drivers.