Where have I gone wrong?

paulktreg

I've recently upgraded to an i7 920 from a E8500 and the folding points from my two GTX 460's "seem" to have plummeted from approximately 20k PPD to somewhere around 14k PPD.

I could fold quite easily on both cards with my E8500 and even play simple games, watch DVDs, etc., at the same time but now everthings gone laggy and stuttery (is that a real word). What's gone wrong?

Not sure Paul but it may be the video drivers, when I used to fold on the video cards I redone my computer one day and put the newest nvida drivers and it was stuttury and forget watching a video of course I was running 8800s or 250s. I went back to the older driver which I cant remember the version now and the problem went away... Might try going back to the same driver you had before if you know which one it was...

I have done a clean install and used the latest driver so perhaps that's it?

I still have my old Win 7 installation on another hard drive so I'm sure I can find out which graphics card drivers I was using.

I'll try rolling back tomorrow and see what happens. Will let you know.

Thanks.

I have done a clean install and used the latest driver so perhaps that's it?

I still have my old Win 7 installation on another hard drive so I'm sure I can find out which graphics card drivers I was using.

I'll try rolling back tomorrow and see what happens. Will let you know.

Thanks.

Thats what happen to me but it was awhile back, it wasnt just me either I saw some other folks having problems and where reverting back to older drivers. Might check the folding forum and see if there is anything there about any problems if you havent already...

I've gone back to 270.61 and my PPD is now just over 20K but graphics still very stuttery, not the same smooth feel I had with the E8500. New CPU and chipset so maybe it's something I'll have to live with?

Next step I think is to get my i7 920 to 3.8GHz ish and see how that folds.

Thanks.

Hi Paul,

Try the 266.58 GeForce drivers.

Those worked swell on my two GTX 460 cards in SLi

The latest drivers were buggy for me so I rolled back.

Also, after completing your new build did you run a few stress tests on the system to make sure everything was toaster stable? i.e. OCCT or Prime, Memtest, 3DMark, Vantage, Heaven etc.?

i agree the 266.58 worked very well for me too.. 20k per card with those drivers.. very stable too! but atm im running the 275 ones coz 266 were buggy for sli patch..

20k per card :blink:

I think the best I've ever done 11k PPD and currently running at 9k PPD. How did you get 20K? Currently not using any flags except -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 or course, any others I'm missing?