Need some help with i7 920 oc

Change the IOH voltage from Auto to 1.24 and start there.

PCIe of 100 to 105 should be fine and will give a little more bandwidth to your GPU and will help some chips scale above the 180 to 190MHz mark. I use 103 on my every day rig

You can scale down your QPI dram voltage to 1.25 to 1.30, you are not hitting the memory or QPI hard enough to go that high.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I change my ram from the 3 by 2 dominator 6gigs 8-8-8-24 1600 to something like 3 by 4 gskill ripjaws, snipers 1600 9-9-9-24 or 7-8-7-24, will I need to change up the bios again?

And, would it be worth doing it?

May have to fiddle with the DRAM and QPI/VTT voltages again, and of course reset your primary memory timings but that should be it.

Be advised that due to the higher densities of 4Gb sticks you may not achieve the same RAM speed/stability you've found with the 2Gb sticks.

Is it worth it? Well, 6Gb is enough to get just about anything done, but I happen to like having 8-12Gb installed as long as you're running a 64-bit OS.

If you're running a 32-bit OS then there isn't much reason to increase your memory capacity.

If I were you I would move from corsair to anything else in a 6 gig tri channel kit. When I moved from my dominator gt to a mushkin silverline under the same CPU overclock, dram timings and frequency I dropped my voltage nearly 0.0500 volts on the chip and the qpi dropped down 0.020. What's worse is the mushkin ram was 1333 that would overclock and be stable @ the 1866 dominator at 1t where the dominator wouldn't be stable at 3t.... ill never go back.

If I were you I would move from corsair to anything else in a 6 gig tri channel kit. When I moved from my dominator gt to a mushkin silverline under the same CPU overclock, dram timings and frequency I dropped my voltage nearly 0.0500 volts on the chip and the qpi dropped down 0.020. What's worse is the mushkin ram was 1333 that would overclock and be stable @ the 1866 dominator at 1t where the dominator wouldn't be stable at 3t.... ill never go back.

Im with boinker on this one. i moved from gskill 12gb 1600mhz ram -> corsair 12gb 2000mhz -> now to mushkin 12gb 1600mhz blackline riddgebacks

6-8-6-24 2t 1600mhz stock settings

6-8-6-20 1t 1600mhz tighter timmings

6-8-6-20 1t 1854mhz can run the timings up to this

7-9-7-24 1t 2000mhz overclock

10-11-10-28 1t 2222mhz overclock

9-11-9-26 2t 2222mhz

im going to say that i will never buy anything but mushkin ram after the set i have now, they overclock like no other. the gskill and corsair ram could not come close to those timings or mhz with the same cpu overclock

to answer you question "What do you mean when you say 1t and 3t?"

Command Rate: Also called CPC (Command Per Clock). The amount of time in cycles when the chip select is executed and the commands can be issued. The lower (1T) the faster the performance, but 2T is used to maintain system stability. On Intel based machines, 1T is always used where the number of banks per channel are limited to 4.

Mushkin may overclock great but memory overclocking is next to pointless for real life performance gains. The extra money spent towards "better overclocking memory" could be dumped elsewhere for more beneficial gains :rolleyes:

What do you mean when you say 1t and 3t?

Case latency. Olokul answered that for me earlier. CPU-z usually shows Case latency as either 1t 2t or 3t. Asus referes to it a 1N 2N or 3N. other mobo manufactures im not so sure of.

Im with boinker on this one. i moved from gskill 12gb 1600mhz ram -> corsair 12gb 2000mhz -> now to mushkin 12gb 1600mhz blackline riddgebacks

6-8-6-24 2t 1600mhz stock settings

6-8-6-20 1t 1600mhz tighter timmings

6-8-6-20 1t 1854mhz can run the timings up to this

7-9-7-24 1t 2000mhz overclock

10-11-10-28 1t 2222mhz overclock

9-11-9-26 2t 2222mhz

im going to say that i will never buy anything but mushkin ram after the set i have now, they overclock like no other. the gskill and corsair ram could not come close to those timings or mhz with the same cpu overclock

to answer you question "What do you mean when you say 1t and 3t?"

Command Rate: Also called CPC (Command Per Clock). The amount of time in cycles when the chip select is executed and the commands can be issued. The lower (1T) the faster the performance, but 2T is used to maintain system stability. On Intel based machines, 1T is always used where the number of banks per channel are limited to 4.

AMEN TO THAT. :D

Mushkin may overclock great but memory overclocking is next to pointless for real life performance gains. The extra money spent towards "better overclocking memory" could be dumped elsewhere for more beneficial gains :rolleyes:

Its not that they overclock better... Its that they actually function better in my system and don't stress my chip to perform the same operation. You dont need to spend extra money for OC memory. you just need the right brand that will help your chip scale further.

The mushkin silverline ddr3 1333 @ $79.00usd

Corsair dominator gt ddr3 1866 @ $200.00usd

They both perform at the same level........

I think its a clear choice what memory is to be used here.Maybe I got a golden kit but I remember my Ghetto sticks reaching that high before I made the wrong setting and fried them... they cost 50... LOL

+1

Thanks a lot for all of your feedback. It's true, you learn something new everyday. I've always heard the Mushkin has good ram but I just don't like the way they look.

These are the ones I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231406

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231408

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231358

The snipers just seem to expensive, but what do I know they may be worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231465

As far as the 2000mhz I would just reduce the multiplier, increase the bclk freq, and fiddle with the qpi right?