Windows 8 UI

_TheAlexO

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of comments with people basically going "yuck it's horrible".

Personally I'm going to wait until I get chance to try it out for myself.

The D9 demo link that shallowbay posted earlier shows the UI in a bit more depth and answers a few questions (they pretty much imply that you don't have to use the new start screen if you don't want to).

Either way, I'm going to disagree and say that I can't see what is so terrible about it so far.

Actually I'm a bit bothered by the "app" myself, I've known these things as programs since I was 5 years old and the introduction of "apps" just doesn't sit well with me, seems like one of them hipster terms. However I feel the same way about most acronyms and abbreviations in general, I especially hate "IMHO" though.

That looks horrible! Why are microsoft turning to apple, there is too much of a market for dumb people that buy apple things and dont realise that what they are actually buying is awefull overpriced cheap crap that looks nice, and now it looks like mcrosoft may be going down a similar route too. I sure hope they dont stop supporting windows 7 because an os like this has taken its place, and i do hope that they dont try and move the enthusiasts onto it like they made the enthusiasts move onto vista and 7 from xp, because it has a more up to date directx (also because of the 64-bit but not like 8 is going to have 128-bit so will leave this out of the argument). I dont see how they are going to make this an enjoyable experience with the use of only a mouse, i say this because i dont want to keep moving to my keyboard for example every two seconds to slide over to the next window, and i certainly dont want to keep sliding over with my mouse. My final complaint is how do they expect old people to be able to use this interface efficinetly, i know old people that struggle to use computers with a basic taskbar such as windows 7's so how on earth are they spose to be able to use slides with small options menus around the sides. Maybe once opencl is supportd in more games with amd's agreement, if it ever goes forward i will be moving to linux immediately if this is the future of microsoft

It looks like Windows 7 with a really fancy "Windows Media Cent...." I mean, tablet interface. I guess that's cool and all, but I won't be using it :P

• 3 weeks later...

I just think App is an increasingly annoying way to shorten it lol

I agree, whatever happened to the word program?? Apparently nowadays, program = nerd and app = cool...

In any case, this looks like a pretty great way to manipulate your way around a tablet or large smartphone. But not a laptop or PC. When you start adding lots of animations to a desktop UI, people (enthusiasts haha) start getting annoyed because all the extra flippitydooda's that kids and old people seem to enjoy take too long. For example, when you minimize or maximize a window in W7, it is animated by default to shrink or expand. I don't mind this, but if it took any longer I would certainly get annoyed. There is a fine line between usability and fresh, clean looks. Apple crossed that line years ago, hopefully Microsoft does not.

Humph, more dumbing down. I remember my first computer 8bit 1k or ram and at the time you wanted an 'app' you wrote it yourself. I liked windows 95 for all it's faults, moved on through the years with 98, ME (less said), 2000, XP, Vista and now 7 which I love, this type of interface is ok for phones and pad bit not a PC.

Edited by clownshoes