Help me Troubleshoot

LuckyDeath

This happened to me before... well on a pentium 3 system. The system kept on powering on then turning off indefinitely. It was the motherboard that was faulty.

It takes a lot to fry a CPU... but not a lot for a motherboard.

I have this happen on Gateway 4620D desktops ALL OF THE TIME at work. The mobo craps out and the machine will just sit there trying to turn on for an indefinite period of time but swapping the mobo fixes the issue 100% of the time. Weird that the mobo on just this specific models blows, but what can ya do.

Anyway, if I had an intel board at all I would ship it your way to let you test it out. Does anyone on OCC have a spare mobo he could try so he could at least rule out the CPU? I imagine it wouldn't cost too much to get it there lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a friend to read this tread and he said: "i have a feeling that the pins under the processor have moved tell him to check it closely cause it is easy to miss it" and "and do tell the guy that wrist straps... does not help it is only in the books

he just neutralizes the body charge by holding the metal part of the case", actually this last thing is what I do, just grab the metal before you start to touch the components.

Can you take a photo of your mobo assembled (everything connected)?

I guess bent socket pins could be the culprit, but Lucky made no mention that he removed the CPU from the socket during cleaning. Only that he removed the heatsink assembly and did some cleaning and reapp of thermal paste.

Tomex, I already posted a video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lSYoE3RrbU

It shows the mobo setup and the turning off and on.

I did unseat the CPU, but like I said it was put back in the correct orientation (checked this like 100 times before I put it back in). I looked at the socket closely and it didn't look any different than when I first installed it. If latching the CPU back in can bend the pins, that really pisses me off.

I understand a wrist strap is not a license to shuffle around carpet and touch everything. I still exercise caution (rubber soled flip flops, anti static work surface) and touch the case every each time before I go in.

One other thing I noticed, is the wrench that comes with the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX is magnetized at the end. Waving a magnetized wand around my CPU/mobo wouldn't damage anything I guess?

Edit: Oh hey look the video is in my post

Edited by LuckyDeath

A magnetic wrench wouldn't effect the cpu or motherboard. Like I and others have said before, its most likely the motherboard.

Well I tried a new power supply, same result.

Removing CMOS battery for a while didn't do it either I'm afraid.

I closely inspected the CPU pins and they honestly look fine to me. Couldn't see one that looked out of place (same in the socket).

I'm gonna box them both up and go into Microcenter this weekend I guess. Hopefully I can get one or the other replaced and be back in business.

Ps- The forums are mobile friendly now! This would have been nice 2 days ago when I started this thread :ouch: been posting from my phone all week!

JDM- I have tried both sticks of RAM one at a time. Are you saying that 2 sticks of RAM both happened to fail in the 30 minutes that my CPU was out of the mobo?

Sorry, that just doesn't seem at all likely. I just got a new RAM kit in the mail today for a different build I'm doing, I'll try one of those.

Edited by LuckyDeath

JDM- I have tried both sticks of RAM one at a time. Are you saying that 2 sticks of RAM both happened to fail in the 30 minutes that my CPU was out of the mobo?

Sorry, that just doesn't seem at all likely. I just got a new RAM kit in the mail today for a different build I'm doing, I'll try one of those.

i just did a repair on a pc this week said symptom and it was bot sticks of ram

and did you wear a static strap

Edited by jdm_freek

But the RAM was working fine, both sticks of it. I turned off the computer to put a new heatsink on, and then it stopped working. Please explain how both sticks would fail in the time frame of half an hour while the machine is off?