Help me Troubleshoot

LuckyDeath

I uploaded a video of me trying to start it up outside the case onto Youtube. Desperate for any other ideas before I go through a warranty process with Intel and wait 6 weeks for a new CPU.

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lSYoE3RrbU

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened to me before... well on a pentium 3 system. The system kept on powering on then turning off indefinitely. It was the motherboard that was faulty.

It takes a lot to fry a CPU... but not a lot for a motherboard.

If you can test the components (RAM and CPU) one by one in another system, it would be great. If RAM ok and CPU ok means Mobo is bad.

Edited by tomex

Unfortunately I don't have another system to test.

If I take the parts back in to Micro Center (where I bought them), can they test them there? Anyone tried this before?

Even though the motherboard is lighting/powering up, you still think its the likely cause?

Edited by LuckyDeath

Like I said before, once during transportation or something one MOSFET transistor was knocked off my board, and after that the board still turned on, but the POST didn't start. I don't know what's is going on with your pc, try to take it to the shop or a repair shop.

I asked for help about this in another forum (BIG thanks to Mac Daddy and Sahara Mafia) and one of the advices is for you to check your PSU, like someone already mentioned in this thread.

Edited by tomex

LD - you've gone through every trouble shooting step that I can think of short of part swapping or RMA. The only thing I'd try before either of those options is to do a full CMOS clear INCLUDING removal of the CMOS/Motherboard battery. Let it set in the CMOS clear position with battery removed overnight and see if that brings it back to life. It sounds crazy, but I've seen it work before.

I see that you purchased your parts at MC - are either the board or cpu still covered under the retailers warranty return/exchange period - or will you have to deal directly with the mfg?

And I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but I've had several MSI boards in my years past that exhibited the same symptoms, and in every case it was the motherboard or motherboard BIOS chip. A couple of those were my own fault though, so I'll take responsibility where responsibility is due, but the others just gave up the ghost without any real reason. And that is the single reason I avoided MSI boards for so long afterwards. Now keep in mind that my current primary build is using a MSI x58 board - so I'm not hating on MSI, but honestly if I hadn't won this board I wouldn't be using an MSI motherboard............ period.

I will try the CMOS battery removal for my last ditch attempt.

Unfortunately, I don't know any OC members in the Dallas/Ft Worth area... but if any of you happen to read this... I have a favor to ask of you!

MC says there is a 30 day return period for Mobos and CPUs- and I am 2 weeks past that (ugh). I don't know if that is the same period for exchanges/defective products. I could try to go there in person and plead with them, they usually have pretty good customer service (which is why I like to shop there when the price is right).

If that doesn't work, then I guess I have to ship it off to MSI/Intel. I would probably just go ahead and RMA both, since I hear that Intel has pretty quick turn around time on the CPU and if they don't think its broken they'll just send it back.

Also, let me just say that I really appreciate everyone who took the time to make a suggestion here and give me a hand. Its a frustrating thing when something breaks and you can't figure out the problem... so, thanks! :thumbsup:

If the CMOS clear with battery removed doesn't work, then I'd box everything back up, take your parts and receipt back to MC and plead (demand) that they make it right. I wouldn't mention that everything was working fine before you disassembled/cleaned everything etc. Just tell 'em it's been problematic from the start but you were hoping things would work out.

MC has plenty of leverage with their suppliers (which will take just about anything back by the way). So use that to your advantage. Speak to a customer service manager if necessary.

Yeah, I had a pretty good experience buying an open box mobo from them a couple weeks back. It was missing quite a few pieces, and the guy just went ahead and opened a brand new one, tossed in extra SATA cables, manuals, I/O shield… he didn't seem concerned that he just tossed out a brand new mobo. Only problem is I don’t think my local MC carries this board anymore (I got it on a special), hopefully they won’t make me downgrade.

And if replacing board and CPU doesn’t work… I’m going to Dell. Not really.

Even if they don't have the same board anymore, you could ask for a board with a similar feature set from another manufacturer................................ unless you're just heart set on a MSI board.