*Updated* Build for University

aaron6581230

So I'm working on a new computer for use in University (which is coming up soon). It'll be used for Video editing, gaming, work, etc etc.

post-63614-13061253971585_thumb.jpg

I realized some parts aren't really viewable. So here is a list of the specs:

CPU: Athlon x4 640

GPU: 8800gts g92 (from my old computer)

HDD: Western Digital Blue 500gb

Case: HAF 912

RAM: G-Skill Sniper 2x4gb @ 1333Mhz and 1.5V

PSU: Corsair vx550

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus w/ 2 fans

DVD Drive

I've actually assembled most of the machine already and did a first boot:

post-63614-13061257229585_thumb.jpg

Seemed fine at first but for some reason, the bios is telling me that I only have 4gb, even though it's recognizing both sticks, each with 4gb. Any ideas why?

After a while, the system starts hanging so I tried each stick on its own. Apparently, one stick is bad because the system won't post when I have a certain stick in there on its own. So I'm off the RMA the memory. Still wondering about the 8gb as 4gb though. I installed windows before, and it was saying the other 4gb was being used as "hardware allocation" or something.

*Update*

After returning the faulty sticks, I found another good deal for 1600Mhz ones. Same Sniper branding, just faster and best of all, cheaper! (Ok by $5 but it's better than nothing!) Thankfully, these sticks show up as all 8gb in the bios and windows.

So I spent a good amount of time doing some cable management and here's what I'm ending off with. Not too shabby in my opinion.

post-63614-0-11959100-1306903324_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with this build. When I have some time, I'll do some overclocking. It's quite hot here in Toronto right now, so maybe not a good idea to do it yet :s.

1 last picture of the finished build (with my Antec 1200 i7 build in the background):

post-63614-0-32329100-1306903461_thumb.jpg

Edited by aaron6581230

• 2 weeks later...

this reminds me of that guy who spend 15k on a computer that wouldn't start. you remember that guys? anyways this build looks promising and your not wasting money either.

this reminds me of that guy who spend 15k on a computer that wouldn't start. you remember that guys? anyways this build looks promising and your not wasting money either.

:lol: The one with a woefully underpowered PSU? Yeah, I remember that money sink. This is a good budget build though!

Edited by Waco