Steam Daily Deals

Avinexis

I really hate the term "Indie game" (when used as 'JUST an indie game') as it really is irrelevant to the quality of the game, sure theres been the stupid trend lately of indie games being just 2d square classic-style games but an independent developer isn't necesarily going to create a worse game than a major studio.

Defense Grid is a fantastic game, actually worth $30 (or more!), so really that $15 pledge immediately gets you the first game plus maybe extra content.

You may as well go for it.

Well said, anymore I'm sick of the way the gaming industry and gamers misuse the word "Indie". It's become a label for certain kinds of games now and is no longer a shortening for Independent Developer. It's become something we slap on 2D sidescrollers and games $20 or less. I mean take Bastion for example, people call that Indie even though WB publishes it, that isn't Indie.

Personally, I'm more likely to get a game because it's Indie, I don't buy into AAA titles easily anymore because I often times find those kind of games aren't as enjoyable to me as a lot of Indie games.

I'm a little leery of having self-publishing as a requirement for Indie games. I don't know the level of involvement WB had with Bastion, but if all they did was stick their label on it, provide some marketing money, and the sales platform, then I would still consider Bastion Indie. Basically where is the cut off between what is Indie and what isn't? One could argue that Valve, through Steam, is a publisher of so-called Indie games because it provides the sales platform, and even gets a cut. The only thing, to my knowledge, Steam doesn't offer is marketing money or a marketing strategy. However it does allow for promotional events to help drive sales.

Let's use a different example, one that I'm much more aware of because I'm actually in it. My book is something I made completely on my own. I wrote it, edited it, formatted it, created the images for it, everything. I self-published it through Amazon though (Kindle Direct Publishing for the Kindle version and CreateSpace for the print version). Technically one could argue that Amazon is my publisher because I am using their platform, their tools for actually manufacturing and distributing the book, and they get a cut. However, they don't give me any marketing money or strategies (save some limited promotional control). Would my book be considered Indie or not? What if a major publishing company were to try to pick it up though, but left everything as it currently is, meaning all of my work is untouched. If it were Indie before would it be Indie then, or would the limited involvement of this company force it out of that category?

For those of you who are interested, Dungeon Defenders which was the Midweek Madness sale at 66% off is now 50% off for the summer sale, but the Lost Eternia Shards Complete DLC is also on sale. If you can only get one DLC for the game, this would be the one to get. It adds a new difficulty, new maps, new challenges, new weapons, new bosses, new pets, and new awesomeness.

I think the best way to (properly) think of the label "indie game" is that they're SELF-FUNDED.

AAA titles have publishers funding a lot of the development. Indie games may eventually get a publisher to fund production of a retail copy, but not the development of the of the actual game. This is basically what happened with Bastion. AFAIK, WB had no part in the development. About halfway thru development (maybe longer), the Bastion devs sought out a publisher, presenting what they had, and WB came on board.

Meh showing, Amazon is catching up ...Steam needs to step up their game!

Not sure how many games I am crazy about getting anyway. If there was a deal on the Sins of Solar Empire expansion packs that would get my attention. I would probably try out Bastion too. Possibly Witcher 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished with Saints Row The 3rd Franchise pack at 91% off :D it was $4 cheaper to get every single bit of pointless dlc with the game instead of paying $15 for just the game, really crazy stuff.