The days of chivalry are gone....

I was doing my daily reading at bbc and came across this article. Where has this world gone to? The officer in question may have not have had the best wording, but I still don't understand why people take such a thing and completely blow it out of proportions. We diminish this to "that's human behaviour," but where does it end?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my thoughts on this are that chivalry in terms of respect and protecting of women. I believe the officer was acting in good faith, but used the wrong terms when trying to get his point across. Let me throw in a couple more notes: self respect and self control.

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/chivalry.html

Edited by jack_of_java

For some reason, my browser won't access that link, so I can't contribute what is sure to be a thought provoking, conversation stimulating post (as those are the only posts I post) :unsure:

A new protest movement sparked by a policeman's ill-judged advice to women students to "avoid dressing like sluts" has taken root in the US and Canada.

Thousands of people - some dressed in jeans, others more provocatively - are taking part in marches, or "SlutWalks".

The aim, say organisers, is to highlight a culture in which the victim rather than rapist or abuser is blamed.

A "SlutWalk" in Toronto last month attracted some 3,000 people. A similar event is due to take place in Boston.

Nearly 2,500 people have signed up via Facebook to attend Saturday's march in Boston.

Boston organiser Siobhan Connors explained: "The event is in protest of a culture that we think is too permissive when it comes to rape and sexual assault."

"It's to bring awareness to the shame and degradation women still face for expressing their sexuality... essentially for behaving in a healthy and sexual way," the 20-year-old told Associated Press.

Workshops

Police officer Constable Michael Sanguinetti had been giving a talk on health and safety to a group of students at Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto when he made the now infamous remarks.

"You know, I think we're beating around the bush here," he reportedly told them. "I've been told I'm not supposed to say this - however, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised".

He has since apologised for his remarks and has been disciplined by the Toronto police, but remains on duty.

Meanwhile, his remarks have led to "SlutWalks" not only in Toronto but also in Dallas, Asheville in North Carolina, and in the Canadian capital, Ottawa.

As well as Boston, marches are also planned in Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia, Reno and Austin.

The SlutWalk Toronto website says the aim of the movement is to "re-appropriate" the world whore.

"Being in charge of our sexual lives should not mean that we are opening ourselves to an expectation of violence, regardless if we participate in . for pleasure or work," it says.

Everybody, from singles, couples, parents, sisters, brothers, children and friends, are encouraged to join the marches.

The rallies typically end with speakers and workshops on stopping sexual violence and calling on law enforcement agencies not to blame victims after sexual assaults, the Associated Press reports.

Ah, thank you good sir hippi :thumbsup: , now I can contribute a thought provoking comment :teehee:

1. Obviously, that cop is an idiot. Saying women are victimized because they dress a certain way is obviously crap. A rapist is going to rape someone no matter what they are wearing.

2. I do agree though, that standards of modesty are degrading when it comes to what women are wearing these days. I have a pretty good imagination, make me use it. I don't want to see all your junk flopping out, that's unattractive, and it makes you look easy. A woman who is covered up in the right ways almost always looks more attractive, as half the fun is the chase :evilgrin:

3.I whole-heartedly disagree with the statement that dressing like a "whore" is expressing one's sexuality in a healthy way. Most of, if not all the women I've known who dress like that do it because they feel emotionally inadequate, and want to be noticed for anything. I'd say dressing in a such a manner is more an indication of low self-esteem/ self-worth than anything.

2. I do agree though, that standards of modesty are degrading when it comes to what women are wearing these days. I have a pretty good imagination, make me use it. I don't want to see all your junk flopping out, that's unattractive, and it makes you look easy. A woman who is covered up in the right ways almost always looks more attractive, as half the fun is the chase :evilgrin:

There's a difference between dressing well and dressing like a whore. :lol:

Everybody, from singles, couples, parents, sisters, brothers, children and friends, are encouraged to join the marches.

wut?

Personally I find myself agreeing with the police officer. Seems to me like a man would understand why a woman might get raped better than a woman might understand. Take for example, prostitutes, it's their job to attract men, so they dress in a manner that helps them do that job. I don't really see why a woman would need to dress in such a way if she didn't have that intention. It kind of encourages rape and sexual assault in my opinion. Which I'm sure many don't agree with.

Not saying it's the woman's fault, it's definitely up to the rapist, but you have to be realistic about such situations and include everything that factors in.

Fully agree with Bubba's second point. Honestly though, why would any woman want to be in a walk celebrating being sexually easy and in a role that most if not all people look down on. That would be like holding a "Skilled-but-too-lazy-to-find-a-job Marathon." That's not a good thing to be! Of course it's wrong to blame the victim, but that doesn't mean we should make the whore an appropriate status for women.

/endrant

At least I can say this; of all the women I've known over the years not a one would take part in something like that. They all either care about themselves enough that they don't want to be in that stereotype or don't want women in general to be in that stereotype.

What we need is a ladies walk where women walk with heads held high in appropriate and gorgeous attire. That would probably get as much or more attention from the men :woot::thumbsup::popcorn:

PS. I don't objectify women, as every single woman I know would affirm, but if there was a parade of them walking down the streets looking good, I'm watching.

Here's another thought I had about this when I was discussing the issue with a friend of mine. Say for instance the cop used another word such as "moron" or even "idiot." Would we have a moron walk or an idiot walk around the world? Take the situation of this: the cop tells people not to be idiots by flashing their money around when they go out - you may get mugged. It was an act by the officer educate people about the avoidance of a situation when pertaining to what they should and should not do. Someone took it to the complete other extreme.

Societies are growing extremely weak and will be the destruction of themselves.