The days of chivalry are gone....

The problem is with the rapists 100% and not with the women being slutty. Why don't you people just let others do what they want instead of judge them? The officer is a complete retard if he thinks reported rapes will go down due to modest clothing. In fact, I wish nudity was legalized instead of frowned upon because some arse hole doesn't like seeing someone else.

What a waste of a thread.

So if everyone were a nudist like you would like, wouldn't a rapist go for a girl with a great figure over one that looks like a ironing board? Looks matter to a rapist, so yes, how a girl dresses does make an impact. Someone that dresses like a stripper is a lot more likely to be raped than someone dressed like an Amish woman, even if they had the exact same look underneath the clothes.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it is very possible that while there are no effects on the crime stats by such a decision on the woman's part, that by giving them some sense of control over it could be very helpful for some. Like back in the cold war when students were told to hide under their desks if there's a nuclear bomb dropped. Guess what, all that means if you're vaporized with a desk above you or you got hit with that lethal dose of radiation a little closer to the ground. It's a comfort and empowerment plow as much as anything. (I'm mostly going from opinion here, and I welcome you to find a flaw in my logic.)

It is true that we are judging those that dress in a contrary way, but then that's something about clothing, it is meant to get people to judge you because it is always one of the first things people see. "Dress for success!" that's judging just as much as "dress for .." You dress for success, you are more likely to be successful. Dress for ., and you're probably more likely to get that too. Of course this could have only a minor impact on rape stats, especially as most women are raped by someone they know, so the clothes at the time are most likely inconsequential. The more important thing is to encourage women to always report a rape and to always got to the hospital immediately after it happens.

The thing is, the way the officer said it was meant to be derogatory and not helpful (well, neither was the desk thing, but that wasn't derogatory).

So if everyone were a nudist like you would like, wouldn't a rapist go for a girl with a great figure over one that looks like a ironing board? Looks matter to a rapist, so yes, how a girl dresses does make an impact. Someone that dresses like a stripper is a lot more likely to be raped than someone dressed like an Amish woman, even if they had the exact same look underneath the clothes.

That wasn't even CLOSE to what I was saying.

That wasn't even CLOSE to what I was saying.

So... that's it then? You're not even going to make an attempt at explaining what you mean?

Whether you think it's close or not, I don't see the point in telling me that if you don't want to try and explain it better. It's kind of like the people sitting in that audience hearing that one sentence he said and standing up and yelling "You're Wrong!" and storming out of the auditorium or wherever it was.

To be honest, that's just the impression I get about you just from that one post, when I see people post obnoxiously large words or bold words, I immediately think that person has nothing good to add because they're just going to think they're right and everyone else is wrong.

So... that's it then? You're not even going to make an attempt at explaining what you mean?

Whether you think it's close or not, I don't see the point in telling me that if you don't want to try and explain it better. It's kind of like the people sitting in that audience hearing that one sentence he said and standing up and yelling "You're Wrong!" and storming out of the auditorium or wherever it was.

To be honest, that's just the impression I get about you just from that one post, when I see people post obnoxiously large words or bold words, I immediately think that person has nothing good to add because they're just going to think they're right and everyone else is wrong.

You read what you wanted to read not what I wrote. For me to explain myself would just be wasting my time arguing with you.

You read what you wanted to read not what I wrote. For me to explain myself would just be wasting my time arguing with you.

Thanks for proving my point. :lol:

However that last bit that I posted was actually posted with the intention of showing people that the way you say things or the way you dress does have an impact on what others do and think. It was also posted to show you that when you're unclear about what you're saying, that has an impact on how others respond as well, and I got the exact response I was hoping for when I posted that the way I did.

Edited by Deathmineral

However that last bit that I posted was actually posted with the intention of showing people that the way you say things or the way you dress does have an impact on what others do and think.

I think the point is that we can all agree that telling women to dress more homely is not the right solution to prevent rape. :cheers:

While I forgot who stated it, I do remember reading that most rapists do it for the sake of having power over a woman than just for sexual gratification. And I don't think that the officer's words were merely misplaced, they were completely improper and unprofessional, especially in a classroom setting. In my opinion I do think that he has a point for some individuals, but wording it the way he did is just plain stupid. For the walks, I disagree somewhat with the way it's all being done, but they have a right to do it and I support the exercise of that right. It says it right here:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While I forgot who stated it, I do remember reading that most rapists do it for the sake of having power over a woman than just for sexual gratification. And I don't think that the officer's words were merely misplaced, they were completely improper and unprofessional, especially in a classroom setting. In my opinion I do think that he has a point for some individuals, but wording it the way he did is just plain stupid. For the walks, I disagree somewhat with the way it's all being done, but they have a right to do it and I support the exercise of that right. It says it right here:

While I'm all for freedom of speech and all of that good stuff there, I can't agree with anyone in this situation other than the officer. I just have a tough time agreeing with people with such poor judgement that they believe children should participate in SlutWalks, that's absolutely disgusting.

...such poor judgement that they believe children should participate in SlutWalks, that's absolutely disgusting.

:rolleyes: Did you look at any of the pictures? Aside from the name almost nothing is slutty about the walks.

:rolleyes: Did you look at any of the pictures? Aside from the name almost nothing is slutty about the walks.

Do you ever post without the rolling eyes smiley? That's very rude, whether you think so or not.

Yes I saw the picture, not pictures, the article only has one picture. You showed a woman holding up a sign that looks like it says "SLUTS SAY YES". That's a great message for children. The name alone should be enough to discourage anyone from allowing children to participate. I've seen what happens to children that grow up around conditions where people think it's okay to do a certain thing, I have a cousin who is serving 4 years in prison for doing meth because her mother had crackheads in and out of their house all the time as a child. Children are very impressionable, naive, gullible, and can't really think for themselves, what happens around a child affects them a great deal.

Do you ever post without the rolling eyes smiley? That's very rude, whether you think so or not.

I rarely post it and only use it when I'm trying to be rude to make a point.

I think his actually statement is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life period.

There is countless seniors that are raped every year by a rapist of some sort. Little child are kidnapped and raped every year, too sit there and state a statement like that is complete BS.

I could go on and on but it there is no point, he is just a dumb Toronto cop that needs a punch in the mouth.