system build

blinkingpeak649

Another noob here and wanted to get everyone's opinion on a build containing the following parts:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 560 BE

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 760G mATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770

Optical Drive: LG GH22NS50 22X Int. SATA Super multi OEM

Power: Cooler Master eXtreme 600W

HDD: WD 320 Gb/3 Gb/s @7200 RPM

Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR3-1333

I understand there are better performance parts to make this an excellent gaming/performance machine available for purchase but based on these components I was wondering if this would make a stable Windows 7 OS? Please keep in mind that I understand the current mobo would not support CrossfireX (but does hybrid CrossfireX) and that I would later upgrade to a higher PSU, a capable mobo and a radeon hd 6850 (CFX)

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My budget is around $550 to $600. I've heard that AMD CPUs don't mix well with nVIDIA GPUs.

I just now realized my mac changed "noob" to "nub"... fail!

As far as I know, AMD doesn't have any issues when mixed with an nvidia GPU. You're just extremely limited for options if you want to SLI, as there are very few boards on the market for AMD that support it. As far as what you have picked out so far, is any of that being re-used or already in hand? Just establishing a base line so we can figure out what needs to be included in the budget, and what doesn't. I see you don't have a case listed, so I assume you have one already? Also what stores are you purchasing from? I think most will quote prices from newegg, but I know microcenter usually has fair prices and depending on location AMD cpu/mobo combo's to save some money.

AMD with nVidia graphics (reported problems) is a thing of the past. Choose whatever gpu you want regardless of whether it comes from the red or green team.

As MPJ pointed out though, be advised that you won't have simple plug n play for nVidia cards in SLi. However, there are hacked drivers that allow you to run them if that's your cup of tea.

With that being said, if you have any intention of running two or more gpu's in the future, best to stick with AMD/ATi solutions for simplicity sake.

The HD 5770 is a decent card so I don't think you'll be disappointed. And once you put a pair in Crossfire they scale really well and performance is really great. Gives you an upgrade option a little later down the road.

I totally agree with IVI about getting the x2 550 instead. You can easily clock it up to the 560's clock speed and get the same performance - plus save yourself some money to put towards something else :) Last price check at the Egg showed about a $25 difference in price. You could put that towards a decent aftermarket heatsink.

If you get lucky you might be able to unlock the 3rd and 4th cores and get some overclocking love up to 3.6 - 3.8Ghz without much trouble.

Here's a quick mock build: (all prices are from newegg)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 555 $89.99

I love this CPU, I use two of them and they perform great! They also have a pretty high chance at this stage in the game to unlock to a quad, and generally overclock quite well. (Note: the stock HSF is crap, and I'd suggest upgrading to atleast a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ if you decide to unlock and/or overclock, they run about $30 bucks)

MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD $108.99 ($98.99 after MIR)

I know you said you'd look into upgrading your MOBO in the future, but for a few bucks more then what you had picked out, this might be a great option. This is a slightly older model, but I think it still has great potential.

RAM: Mushkin Blackline 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz $54.99

ddr3 is dirt cheap right now, so I chose a 1600mhz kit over 1333 just for a little headroom for the future. Yes 1333 is cheaper, and so are other 1600 kits, but I figured for about an extra 8 bucks it was worth it.

GPU: ASUS 6850 $174.99 ($154.99 after MIR)

I know you had planned to initally go with a 5770 and upgrade to 2x 6850s later, but with the price difference and you being budget oriented, I chose to start the build off with 1x 6850. It is about 40-50 dollars more, but you're saving in the long run.

PSU: Seasonic 520w 80+ Bronze Modular $79.99

Also you mentioned you'd upgrade the PSU later, so I chose this unit because I think it should be plenty for a single card set up, and SeaSonic is a great name. (This is a modular psu, there is another that isn't and its $10 cheaper! just food for thought)

ODD: Samsung CD/DVD Burner $19.99

I'm never picky when it comes to optical drives because I rarely use them. Samsung has always been good to me, and its cheap!

HDD: Western Digital Blue 500gb $44.99

Ended up picking out a 500gb drive over the 320gb you had. It was roughly $3 more for an extra 180gb.

Total= $573.93 ($543.93 after MIR's)

Keep in mind this is just a potential build, and merely a suggestion for you. I picked these parts because of brand preference(there are a lot of solid brands out there to choose from!), and there are plenty of different ways you could go with this! I also just wanted to post this up so you could weigh going with a 6850 vs a 5770 in the initial build. I know what its like to be tight on money, and in my mind its easier to spend that extra 40 bucks in the begining then it is to look back on that wasted 110 bucks later.

Thats a solid build ^ there but i say change the GPU to this 5850 which is faster than 6850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102932&cm_re=5850-_-14-102-932-_-Product

And with that you should get your self a good Quad core CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103921

Also a power supply that can handle crossfire in the future

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=corsair_750-_-17-139-006-_-Product

My last fix which isnt that big is the memory. These just have better heat spreaders and G.Skill is a known reliable memory company

Thats a solid build ^ there but i say change the GPU to this 5850 which is faster than 6850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102932&cm_re=5850-_-14-102-932-_-Product

And with that you should get your self a good Quad core CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103921

Also a power supply that can handle crossfire in the future

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=corsair_750-_-17-139-006-_-Product

My last fix which isnt that big is the memory. These just have better heat spreaders and G.Skill is a known reliable memory company

Mushkin is known to be every bit as reliable as G.Skill. They make very good products, across the board.

I've already purchased the CPU and MoBo as microcenter is having a killer deal on a combo right now. the board doesn't support crossfireX right now but does support hybrid crossfireX. Other than that I have no other pieces as of yet.

Am I correct in saying that I can SLI two nVIDIA GPUs with an AMD CPU with a mobo that is capable of doing SLI? Asking because I also looked at getting a gtx 550 ti.

mpj: I'm shopping at microcenter... they have some AWESOME deals right now.

I have a case in mind off of tigerdirect while I keep in mind airflow and placement of hardware: Xion AXP

Thanks again everyone for all your advice and mock builds.

When I do upgrade my PSU I will upgrade to 800W w/certified SLI/CFX.