system build

blinkingpeak649

Do not raid those drives, you will lose 340GB on the caviar (if it'd even work). raid 0 isn't worth it for a personal user in my experiences.

That PSU is a good one, though just know that you have 0 day warranty. Not that it should break down but just keep that in mind.

ATX PSU's will fit all ATX standard cases :)

If you're a student you can pick up Win7 for cheap. ($30 for pro or home edition)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not raid those drives, you will lose 340GB on the caviar (if it'd even work). raid 0 isn't worth it for a personal user in my experiences.

That PSU is a good one, though just know that you have 0 day warranty. Not that it should break down but just keep that in mind.

ATX PSU's will fit all ATX standard cases :)

If you're a student you can pick up Win7 for cheap. ($30 for pro or home edition)

win7 for $30? how so? I am a student pursuing a bachelors degree.

Thanks for the tidbit of info IVITHOS. However, that promotion only goes for a Win7 upgrade, not the full version.

You can use it like a full version if you know the tricks of the trade (aka install once as trial mode, then install it from WITHIN that trial mode Windows...thus "upgrading" from itself ;) )

You can use it like a full version if you know the tricks of the trade (aka install once as trial mode, then install it from WITHIN that trial mode Windows...thus "upgrading" from itself ;) )

haha, never would have thought that would work. I'll give it a shot.

I noticed nasty_nate's guide for new builds. are all those stabilizing programs up to date or do I need to search for new programs. I imagine all the procedures stay the same. I also noticed he built that guide some time ago.

• 1 month later...

I have a HDD with windows xp on it from an old computer, from what I saw it still works fine. Does anyone know if I will be able to take that HDD and put it into the build described above? From what I gather all I would be doing, essentially, is upgrading parts from the OS point of view, correct? Of course, then I would upgrade to W7 if all is well.

You may have to call Microsoft to give you a transfer product key, but besides that I'd attempt to remove all the old computer's drivers and install the new machine's drivers

You may have to call Microsoft to give you a transfer product key, but besides that I'd attempt to remove all the old computer's drivers and install the new machine's drivers

Thanks, I'll have to try all of that. the components installed on that HDD don't work any more so I'm going to have to attempt it from an external HDD.

Thanks, I'll have to try all of that. the components installed on that HDD don't work any more so I'm going to have to attempt it from an external HDD.

What do you mean?? What components?

What do you mean?? What components?

The HDD came with an HP that has a broken part on it (I don't know which one). So I'm trying to hook it up with the new set up. Pieces are broken not windows, so I am trying to salvage the good HDD in my new build.