Went crossfire, nothing but problems...

t0asty

I got my second 6950 card yesterday. I spent a lot of the night re doing my computer case, and then I installed the new video card. It booted into windows just fine. I have since restarted in safe mode, deleted all display drivers, and installed the new 11.3 drivers. CCC and GPU-Z all pick up on the second card. Side note: both have been flashed to unlocked shaders (the original one by me, the other from the person I got it from). The problem is that the computer keeps freezing randomly when all I am doing is surfing the internet, but freezes every time I run 3Dmark11 (made it through only 1 time out of the 10 or so I have tried since then). The computer completely locks up and sometimes reboots itself, but I mostly have to hold down the power button to get it to restart. I thought it might be a problem with that program, so I attempted to run Dirt2, and the computer locked up as soon as it loaded. I am not sure what else to do. I have the power settings at +20% in CCC and still locks up. If anyone has any ideas on what I should try to do to rule out some problems please let me know.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of the unlocked shaders? Test the card you just received by itself. Sounds like either the new card is bad/can't handle the shaders, or they just don't work in CF like that. Also, which Corsair 750 is that?

Edited by Krieg1337

Get rid of the unlocked shaders? Test the card you just received by itself. Sounds like either the new card is bad/can't handle the shaders, or they just don't work in CF like that. Also, which Corsair 750 is that?

:withstupid: :withstupid:

It's possible that each 6950 was unlocked in a different way.

it's the TX750. I am pretty sure each card was flashed with a different bios. I am going to take each one out and try them separately. I suppose if it does work I should go ahead and flash it with the same bios I flashed the original one with and see how that works together.

it's the TX750. I am pretty sure each card was flashed with a different bios. I am going to take each one out and try them separately. I suppose if it does work I should go ahead and flash it with the same bios I flashed the original one with and see how that works together.

yeah that may clear up incompatibilities (since alot of the tweaks are unofficial)

well, reflashed the new video card by itself to the same bios just in case. Ran furmark for several minutes at max CCC OC settings as well as 3Dmark11 all the way through with no problems. I guess I will attempt to try to go crossfire again? Anything else I should try first? I am running Prime95 just to rule out any chance that it could be CPU related, but just went through a whole cycle without a problem again.

well, reflashed the new video card by itself to the same bios just in case. Ran furmark for several minutes at max CCC OC settings as well as 3Dmark11 all the way through with no problems. I guess I will attempt to try to go crossfire again? Anything else I should try first? I am running Prime95 just to rule out any chance that it could be CPU related, but just went through a whole cycle without a problem again.

Yeah i don't see how over testing could hurt doing

Yeah i don't see how over testing could hurt doing

Well I went back crossfire and tried 3Dmark11 and it locked up again. I decided to give up and try to play Killing Floor and was able to play for around an hour with no problems. Not sure what the deal is with 3Dmark11, but I suppose as long as I can play games I can live with it... Guess we will see tomorrow what happens a few games that are a little more demanding.

Well I went back crossfire and tried 3Dmark11 and it locked up again. I decided to give up and try to play Killing Floor and was able to play for around an hour with no problems. Not sure what the deal is with 3Dmark11, but I suppose as long as I can play games I can live with it... Guess we will see tomorrow what happens a few games that are a little more demanding.

That's good news, I'd test a wide variety of titles. Sometimes the more simple ones can find the instabilities but hopefully it's just 3DMark just being gay....in which case who cares, it's a bad game anyway :P

Killing floor isnt a very difficult to run game. Trust me i know, i used to play it max settings on my crappy laptop, lol. So try a more demanding game...

Any chance his PSU isnt up to the task?? id say 750w is cutting it alittle close.