Small PSU for pump and fans

Hi all

I need a small PSU for my WC pump (liang D5/Swiftech whats-its-name) and 10 fans, 1 200mm red LED fan and 9 120mm red LED fans.

It must be much smaller than ATX (i have about 100x100x80mm space to put it in). This can be very low wattage as all i need it for is the pump and fans (i dont want to use my main PSU cause i want the pump and fans to run on a separate circuit).

I dont mind if anyone is selling a second hand one but all i need is 2x molex connectors.

Hmm, you'll be hard pushed to find a regular power supply that small. Even TFX units are going to have one dimension larger than 100mm.

So I guess you are best off looking at Pico PSUs, that are powered using an external power brick. I'm not sure how suitable that would be for you?

What is the main rationale for not using your main PSU?

so i can power on the pump and fans without powering on the whole system

The only time you would want to do this is after you design the loop, run all the tubing, and want to test for leaks! If this is what you are wanting to do then just unplug everything else in you system and only connect the pump, then just jumper the 24pin to start the psu, and let it run to verify you have no leaks. If this isn't what you are wanting to do, then I am confused on what you are trying to accomplish with being able to run the pumps and fans seperate from the system. I say this because w/o your entire system on generating the heat you are trying to water cool, then there isn't a point to having your loop running and not your pc.

Perhaps, like some power supplies, he wants to leave the cooling running after shutdown?

Running the water pump and cooling fans from a separate source isn't without risk. What if this power supply fails while the computer is under heavy load?

You may find a small desktop SMPS, laptop battery charger type for example, that'll do the job but you'll need some DIY skills and ideally if that failed you need some sort of interlock to switch the main power supply off.

How many watts do you need?

something like this?

not sure if they are still around but this is what I use for testing my loops before I put them into a system with the paper clip mod on the 24pin plug

Yes, those 5.25" bay power supplies did also cross my mind, though it depends on the space available.

It would certainly be a good solution :), though based on the requirement of something roughly 100x100x80mm it would still fail.

It really depends how strict that requirement is.

I'd still like to hear little more from the OP about why he wants to be able to run those parts on a separate PSU as well.

Hmm, you'll be hard pushed to find a regular power supply that small. Even TFX units are going to have one dimension larger than 100mm.

So I guess you are best off looking at Pico PSUs, that are powered using an external power brick. I'm not sure how suitable that would be for you?

What is the main rationale for not using your main PSU?

Those pico psu's look like exactly what i need. would i be able to cut off the sata connector and attach a molex?

I've actually added a jumperswitch to one of my computers. just add a switch from the green wire on the 24-pin connector (should only be one) to the case (i.e. ground)

that will start the psu, i.e. all fans will spin up. though not sure if its a good idea in the long run, but there should not be any dangers with it that i know of.

The point of this PSU is that it is not connected to any other components, just the pump and fans. I am pretty good at wiring so i will make sure the pc cant boot without the pump and fans on. I checked the power draw for the fans and pump and the 80W psu will easily handle it.

I am going to have the fans and pump on military switches and the on/off switch attached to a keylock to close the circuit (partly) and then a 'vandal proof' switch from performance-pcs to actually turn it on