Which Should I get?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What upgrade should I get?

• HD 6870 - $190
    • HD 6950 - $280
    • HD 6970 - $340
    • Vertex 2 120gb - $200
    • 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 - $150

I've been unemployed since October 2008, and I finally just got a new job today. It's been a long time since I had discretionary income, and there are a couple of upgrades I have been thinking about.

My current graphics card is a Radeon HD 4870. It was a good card for a long time, but its starting to stutter a bit in the face of new games, and I'd like dx11 support. I have also been thinking of upgrading to an ssd to increase my general system performance. I've also noticed with folding running alongside chrome that I'm using most of my memory, so I could upgrade to 8gb of ram.

Which option do you guys think is the best?

System Specs:

Phenom II 1090t @ 3.8ghz

Asus M489TD PRO/USB3

ATI Radeon 4870

4 Gb (2x2gb) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600

260gb WD boot drive

1tb Spinpoint F3 data drive

360bg WD ide data drive

Corsair 750w modular PSU

that rig looks fine to me....a fresh re-install may work wonders if anything I would upgrade the video card and to 8gb of ram....its cheap enough these days

ya, but which one. I'm going to upgrade all 3 eventually, but this poll is about what I should get 1st to celebrate

Well, since you just got a job and gz on that btw :) i would assume you will have less time to do some gaming so i wouldn't think of upgrading the graphic card first but i may be completely wrong, just trying to be of some help.

Keeping in mind the Vertex 3 is almost coming out maybe the SSD should be the last of the 3 to upgrade because it may come down a bit on the price.

And this leaves the RAM left, which since it seems to affect your performance in everyday tasks i would go for it first.

Hope i could make some sense and help out a bit here ;)

Since you said a 6970 is an option I would go for a 6950 and put the rest to save for more ram eventually and then an ssd in the end

seems good!

why buy 8GB ram instead of expanding your current 4GB?

the 8 gig set isnt too much more than another 4 gig set, and my motherboard doesnt support overclocked ram speeds (1600) in dimm slots 2 and 4