Gaming OS

Black64

Remember though, that Windows isn't free. If there were a free gaming OS anyone could build a computer, throw the OS on it, and start gaming. This would cut down on "gaming rig" costs by $100+ and would probably eliminate BSODs for some of these gamers (at least a few.)

And for anything else you can use cloud computing. Gotta edit a document before heading off to work? Jump on your gaming computer and edit it with Google Docs!

If it was a free OS, there wouldn't be an incentive to make stuff like DirectX. Game engines would have to include their own versions of it, and that would probably drive costs up enormously, not to mention drive driver makers insane.

If you want free gaming I suggest you give OnLive a try.

And for anything else you can use cloud computing. Gotta edit a document before heading off to work? Jump on your gaming computer and edit it with Google Docs!

Unless your internet is out...

OnLive isn't exactly free. It's cloud gaming though. It's still not quite popular in terms of gaming publisher partners.

What I meant was that you only have to pay for games if you use it through a browser. I assume it supports linux so you could use that as an OS, and get games through OnLive.

Unless your internet is out...

:withstupid:

What I meant was that you only have to pay for games if you use it through a browser. I assume it supports linux so you could use that as an OS, and get games through OnLive.

That still doesn't solve their issue with a gaming specific OS. Running OnLive on Linux is you running an actual OS, then using the cloud to play instead of your actual gaming PC.

What the OP wants is to take a gaming PC and put a downgraded OS (console OS) onto the PC. Not cloud gaming.

What is the point? Like, seriously? I read all of the posts and the question I keep asking is, so what?

You say you want a ripped up OS like a console has, but with the hardware of a PC. So essentially you want a console with better hardware.

It's called new consoles. Roughly every 5 years they come out with new ones that blow away the previous ones. And, these cost hundreds, even thousands, less than a PC.

I understand what you are saying, but it just isn't feasible. Most consumers buy PC's to browse the web and run programs, not play games. Those that do want to play games buy a console. There is no money right now in a "gaming OS" because the average consumer would never buy it. And I can guarantee it will NEVER be free with Microsoft around.

Didn't read all the replies, but I can tell you that this already exists. They're by no means legal, but people have modified Windows 7 to optimize it for gaming, changed the theme a bit, etc.

funny the op should bring this up. M$ looked into this a few years back and guess what they came up with? the xbox....lol

there is a reason why consoles are the leading gaming platform and PC gaming is really a niche. haven't logged into steam in a few months since i only dab into SC2 these days.

Edited by hornybluecow

funny the op should bring this up. M$ looked into this a few years back and guess what they came up with? the xbox....lol

there is a reason why consoles are the leading gaming platform and PC gaming is really a niche. haven't logged into steam in a few months since i only dab into SC2 these days.

I wouldn't be caught dead without my Steam Account! It's almost as if we're partners or something, except she treats me real good :P

There are M+KB accessories for Xbox and PS right? ...There you go :unsure: You have your "Optimized for Gaming" "PC".