Gaming OS

Black64

I was thinking wouldn't it be a cool idea if someone made a OS for just gaming. For example take the Xbox 360 and PS3 they use custom made software that optimizes the hardware. We need that for PC's. Almost like a windows for gamers. Think about how much hardware power goes to waste from Windows extra junk they keep running all the time. Here is what i think it would need.

Compatible with all windows games

Minimal background processes and programs

Quickly boot

Latest hardware drivers support (physx and Direct X)

Do you think it is possible? Will it ever be done?

Great idea.

Valve is probably going to do it since they are the leaders in the game industry and already have a great DRM set up. Steam OS. Or maybe it will be called Pipe or something.

I can already see it now, it'll be released 10 years from now.

Yes its possible, no it wont happen. Gamers are a niche market. And even if it existed i wouldn't buy it. I want my pc to do things beside games not become a customizable console. The reason a PC is so much better than a console is that it has far more uses than a console. If you took that away you would have another, better but still console, console.

• Like 1

I know what your saying SpeedCrazy but you have to admit there are a lot of things on windows we don't need. There are some things that should stay like internet and email, but a lot of the "office" stuff can go. And lot of things that could be added or modified to make gaming better.

Steam OS. Or maybe it will be called Pipe or something.

New 'Pipe OS' brought to you by Valve, now you can experience your Steam games through Valve like never before on Pipe!

:dunno:

This idea was done a few years back when you could replace the windows shell with something that used less resources, disable a whole bunch services and end up getting a bit better performance.

Overall it ended up being more of a pain in the butt...

I know what your saying SpeedCrazy but you have to admit there are a lot of things on windows we don't need. There are some things that should stay like internet and email, but a lot of the "office" stuff can go. And lot of things that could be added or modified to make gaming better.

.... ''office can go" ? Take that kind of program away and you have an xbox with xbox live, internet email and games. What i was saying is that that would make your computer another console and you would need another computer or a dual boot to achieve normal computer productivity functions. in that case why not just stick with a cheap console over a custom built rig with pipe os(or whatever it might end up being).

.... ''office can go" ? Take that kind of program away and you have an xbox with xbox live, internet email and games. What i was saying is that that would make your computer another console and you would need another computer or a dual boot to achieve normal computer productivity functions. in that case why not just stick with a cheap console over a custom built rig with pipe os(or whatever it might end up being).

That's kinda what I had in mind. a dual-boot system (windows 7 and Gaming OS). That would be awesome!

Think about how much hardware power goes to waste from Windows extra junk they keep running all the time.

It's essentially zero with any modern CPU. Even my EeePC can run all that extra crap and it's nearly unnoticeable even on there. :P

If that is true then why does every game console beat the PC in boot time? My Xbox 360 (when I had it) boots faster then my PC. Which, by the way is far faster.

Edited by Black6464

Great idea.

Valve is probably going to do it since they are the leaders in the game industry and already have a great DRM set up. Steam OS. Or maybe it will be called Pipe or something.

I can already see it now, it'll be released 10 years from now.

I have never liked steam that much. Why do I need a program(steam) to run another program(a game)? This is exactly what we don't need, more programs running. Would rather just have them give me a download link and key and install it myself.