CPU Temperature over 100C

Hello,

I read that people crap in their pants when they overclock their CPU and notice that the CPU temperature is getting close to 60 degrees of celsius, then they stop it and turn off the PC because they have read that manufacturer has a maximum operating temperature of 62C degrees.

I am speaking of my Phenom II X4 965, and this article describes that it is dangerous if it gets over 60 degrees:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii_965/

Anyway, is this false information or am I just lucky? Because I have not overclocked my CPU yet and the temperature still rises 110C + at times when I render stuff. I guess it is because my previous Power supply crashed and now I am using a PSU mcuh weaker (less W) than my previous one. But then again... why is weaker PSU making my CPU temperature increase more than more powerful PSU? It doesn't make sense. I just bought a new PSU today and now everything is working good again. The temperature during rendering is about 77 degrees. This is normal to me. Or should I crap in my pants?

So anyway, why hasn't anything happened to my PC when my CPU temperature used to be higher than 110C? I could even smell the burning stink coming from my CPU but nothing happened.

What is the actual operating temperature of the AMD Phenom II X4?

Regards,

Persevest

Edited by persevest

holy jesus, you sure you have the heatsink on correctly?

im sure that if you keep it like this, it will kill your processor soon

you should keep you cpu under 58ish IMO,

Edited by Shadowtroop

AMD specification calls out a max operating temperature of 62C for the 965.

However I'm sure that most around here would tell you that 70C to 75C is safe for long term use.

Glad that you got it back down to a near normal range.

Anytime your CPU temps are wildly out of range (like your's used to be) - you should immediately power down your machine and begin trouble shooting. It could be

many different things, from a bad temp diode on the cpu, to a cpu heatsink fan that quit working. It might be that the cpu heatsink wasn't properly mounted or the

thermal paste wasn't applied correctly. It could also be a BIOS bug or bug in the software you are using to monitor temps.

I've even seen where the factory cpu retention mechanism breaks or becomes unlatched - and have even opened up a couple customer cases and found that the cpu heatsink had

completely fallen off the socket.

Edited by wevsspot

100c on AMD is not good . I had an x6 and didnt like it to go over 62c . Since most x4's are higher than 45nm then in high 60's to low 70's would be fine. What cooler are you using?

If the GPU temperature is 110C, that would make more sense if you're running one of the hotter cards in an airflow-restricted case. A CPU temp of 110C is awfully high. Even 77C is high for a non-OC'ed Phenom II X4 965. There must be other factors that are contributing to the high temps. If you want to prolong the life of your 965, you may want to check the cooling components in your case, such as the heatsink seating, thermal paste application, dust build-up on fans and components, etc.

Something is wrong. Go to the bios and look at its hardware monitor and see what it says. Until you figure ot whats wrong I would discontinue us of the computer.

I haven't applied any thermalpaste when I first set up the CPU. I thought there already was some paste on it originally. I guess I should buy some paste and see if this works.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't applied any thermalpaste when I first set up the CPU. I thought there already was some paste on it originally. I guess I should buy some paste and see if this works.

Thanks for the replies.

Most definitely! Don't use your computer until you put some TIM on your CPU/Heatsink!

Make sure to thoroughly clean the cpu ihs and heatsink base before applying fresh TIM. You can use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol or Rosinol Lighter fluid. Both work well and don't leave any residue.

i think your simply lucky your cpu didn't fry. the psu has nothing to do with the cpu heat. i feel your MB was doing it's job and throttle down.

[/quote

]

yeah, I agree.