Folding@Home

Brutality

So I've been folding 24/7 for about a month now and just wondering when I get the DNA-icon at my avatar?

Also, I heard u can get the gpu to fold too, and since I have an ok gpu I figure it might be a good idea to let it contribute too, but how does it work?

Considering I'm only got 5880 points and some have got millions I've got on the feeling that some tweaking might need to be done if I wanna help as much as you guys do - meh I should've asked a month ago lol

Thanks in advance - Brutality

PS. I'm going straight to bed now so don't expect me to reply (if needed) in the next 9-10 hours xD

EDIT: See attachment for my settings

Edited by Brutality

not much tweaking needed, really all you need is a nvidia card and leave you computer on. ATi cards are terrible at folding. my GTS 450 gets 9k ppd, best bang for the buck

i also think you may not be folding with your GPU because 200~ points a day is extremely low for a video card. i'm at about 250k and thats mostly all from folding over a month with a GTX 260 last year.

Brutality Stats

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=544256

Edited by hornybluecow

are you running the gpu client? because with the 5870 you should be doing a lot better than you are.

GPU client? How? Where? :D

EDIT: Holy cow I really failed in posting this in the right section.. I thought I posted this in the OC&C forum lol o.O

EDIT2: After inspecting the OCC Teams section perhaps it was moved here lol.. nvm me lol

EDIT3:

NVM!!

D'oh me.. I just found this über topic

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=179289

and got my hd5870 running, and it's folding like at least 13 times faster than my cpu (started cpu and gpu clients at same time and cpu still at 0% while gpu is at 13% :P) but ok the cpu is only running with 1 core cuz I read u gotta have 1 core free when using gpu, so might wanna halv the difference once I get it settled xD

... unless gpu work units are easier than cpu work units :P

Edited by Brutality

these days there is really no point in running the CPU client. it usually gives problems for Ati cards because they need a whole core to run. also CPU gives you next to nothing.

Are the big points not to be had from running a CPU client? I think you need an i7, possibly overclocked, for some ridiculously high scores? Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick?

GPU client? How? Where? :D

EDIT: Holy cow I really failed in posting this in the right section.. I thought I posted this in the OC&C forum lol o.O

EDIT2: After inspecting the OCC Teams section perhaps it was moved here lol.. nvm me lol

You did post it in the overclocking forum which was the wrong forum so I moved it :popcorn:

these days there is really no point in running the CPU client. it usually gives problems for Ati cards because they need a whole core to run. also CPU gives you next to nothing.

I gotta disagree with this comment as I run ONLY an OC PII 940 @ ~3.3GHz and do pretty well :foldon:

the cpu client is crap, but if you set it up as an smp client then its good. I have a phenom II 1090T @ 3.8 and an ATi 4870 and they output around 5-6k per day. You dont need to allocate a core to the gpu, but you do need to increase its core priority (inside the folding instance not through the task manager).

read this it will help setup smp http://folding.stanf...ish/WinSMPGuide

the cpu client is crap, but if you set it up as an smp client then its good. I have a phenom II 1090T @ 3.8 and an ATi 4870 and they output around 5-6k per day. You dont need to allocate a core to the gpu, but you do need to increase its core priority (inside the folding instance not through the task manager).

read this it will help setup smp http://folding.stanf...ish/WinSMPGuide

so I just gotta set the core priority to low during the setup of fah.exe for the gpu? (fah.exe -configonly) and then I can run the smp client with both cores?

so I just gotta set the core priority to low during the setup of fah.exe for the gpu? (fah.exe -configonly) and then I can run the smp client with both cores?

ya, something like that. Just do whatever the instructions say and it should work for you.