Folding@Home

Brutality

The system must have a recent dual core processor or better to run this client with the -smp switch in SMP mode. Four cores or more are strongly recommended. This means older single core processors cannot run this client with the -smp switch, and older dual cores will not meet the very short work unit deadlines

Can my C2D E8500 keep up? It's stock for now but in next week when I get the new dimms I'm planning on getting it 4GHz+ (sigh the idiots extended estimated arrival by ANOTHER 14 days -_-)

Edited by Brutality

It is the -bigadv switch that requires an overclocked I7. The deadline is 4-days and the points go way down if you miss the deadline. My I7 920 @ 3.5ghz sometimes makes it by an hour or two and sometimes doesn't by an hour or two. I've stopped trying -bigadv units since I got my second gtx 470 and just use -smp 8.

Okies =)

But uhm, what's up with this? (see attachment) is this normal, that gpu doesn't get any work?

EDIT:

Those bigadv... are they only for cpu (smp client)? because considering my gpu got 544-2720 gflops (double vs. single precision) of computing power versus my cpu (22 gflops lol (took a Linpack benchmark)), oh and just found out max theoretical compute power for cpu is 107.55 glfops (i7 980x)...

PS. I'm very tired, i.e. beware of gibberish - I hope u get the point in my question

Edited by Brutality

you have to use the old GPU client 6.21 because the new ones are meant for nvidia cards. I don't know if Bigadv is only for SMP but if you don't run it that way you'll get getting 100 PPD like before.

you have to use the old GPU client 6.21 because the new ones are meant for nvidia cards. I don't know if Bigadv is only for SMP but if you don't run it that way you'll get getting 100 PPD like before.

Why do they say I need to run v6.30 client or newer? You're confusing me now mate

Also; if I run bigadv I won't make any deadlines, I need a much faster cpu for that...

Note: GPU manufacturers often release new video card types faster than the GPU client can be updated to automatically recognize that hardware. A GPU not supported message is a common indicator. The solution is to add a client switch to bypass the hardware detection. Please use the switch appropriate for your hardware, and add it to the Additional Client Parameters field on the Advanced tab. Do not use a switch unless it's needed to solve the GPU not supported error, or when specifying hardware types while running older and newer generations of GPUs in the same computer.

* ATI 3xxx series: -forcegpu ati_r600

* ATI 4xxx series: -forcegpu ati_r700

* ATI 5xxx series: -forcegpu ati_r800 (v6.30 client or newer)

* nVidia 8x, 9x, 2xx series: -forcegpu nvidia_g80

* nVidia GTX 4xx series: -forcegpu nvidia_fermi (v6.30 client or newer)

EDIT: I tried the client you recommended but it doesn't give me any work, the v6.30 client or newer does give me work though...

EDIT2:

I think the following confirms that I can run with 6.41 no problems =)

Requirements for installation

Before you start the installation process of the GPU client, there is a few requirements you must check to make sure the client will work correctly:

AMD/ATI

1. The ATI GPU requirement is to be compatible with ATI CAL, and that is any card from 2xxx (R6xx) series and above. Unfortunately this also means 1xxx and older cards are not compatible because the shader architecture is not unified.

2. The ATI driver requirement is currently the Catalyst 8.7 (or newer) and can be found here. To update the driver, it's suggested that you uninstall the old driver, reboot, then install the new driver.

3. 5xxx series ATI GPUs are supported in the v6.23 or newer FAH client, and requires the 9.10 Catalyst driver or newer. Also use the -forcegpu ati_r700 switch until 5xxx hardware is auto-detected in newer versions of the FAH client. How to add a switch is covered below. Switch requirement fixed in the v6.30 GPU client and above.

Edited by Brutality

So are there no deadlines for smp clients? if so, then I guess I should use that for folding on my laptop?

Specs:

AMD Turion 64 MK-38 (2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache)

Up to 256MB ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Hypermemory

1GB DDR2

Could I also fold with the gpu on the laptop? :P

Anyways I am slightly worried for my CPU;

It's having a hard time making the preferred deadlines (which must be held in order to receive bonus), even the final deadlines; it's been going for 24 hours now and have only done 32% of a 3 preferred, 6 days final deadline WU (24 hours is a special case because of massive homework ;) - usually fold 15-19 hours per day), is it worth it with the smp client? Do I have any other choices?

The GPU on the other hand is doing great =) It's completing WU's in 3 hours, so making 511 points every 3 hours (I'm REALLY happy I got it folding :D)

Gonna go sleep now.. long day @ uni tomorrow (again -_-) so my pc gets another 18 hours (from now) for folding

Edited by Brutality