i7-950 vs SandyBridge

Isn't sandy bridge restricted from alot of overclocking options?

The only think you can't really mess with is the BCLK - you get about a 5% max (stable).. And that's simply because the whole system runs off a single clock. Some motherboard manufacturers will choose to add a separate clock, meaning it won't matter... I could barely go up to 102 on some motherboards before the system would just become unstable, but I was also using beta/engineering BIOSes and CPUs.

But, as far as CPU goes, the only real overclocking will come in the form of changing the multiplier - and that's really only possible with the K-series... The non-K models have a +4 bins max limit. However, the K cpu is only about a $20 upsell from the non-K, so most will just go for that...

If you are deciding between an 1156 and 1155, the Sandy Bridge is worth it, hands down...

I always thought if I could just flash this chipset. Next I hope something is done with this DX number, number, number...

??

Socket 2011 boards won't be readily available towards Q3 next year... Unless he plans to wait 9 months or so to get a new system...

Chipset flashing?

And DX###? Are you talking about Intel boards?

Have you come to a conclusion yet? I think we all want to know :)

I am pretty indecisive. What's more on my concern right now is the thought of parts being much cheaper for the 1366 when SandyBridge comes out. :wacko:

edit: on second thought, I might just wait.

Edited by Rappo