I'm so disappointed after looking at the benchmark on the 6900 ser

jk336699

Thermals are bad when the driver and card are controlling the fan speeds, In this respect they went the wrong way.

You have to remember that with voltage tweaking coming right around the corner the clock speed increases will probably be more. Much like when I did the ASUS GTX580 that just had a phenomenal 140MHz jump over the 824MHz I got on the reference card with no voltage adjustments. Same with the 570, you need tht ability to adjust the voltage before you condemn the OC capabilities. You have to remember the target was the GTX480 not the 580 and in this respect the achieved goal since there are more people that will buy a $380 dollar card than a $500 dollar card..........think about that one for a minute and you see what the goals were and how the achieved it. Now if they get the driver optimizations fixed they should do well with it

I though reference cards had voltage tweak?,correct me if i am wrong ,do only non-reference cards have voltage tweak?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine being disappointed by a 6970 priced at nearly the same point as the 570 and outperforming it in every benchmark. This is competition at its finest. I can't wait to see how the prices react.

Edited by hierovision

Well the 4870 lost to the GTX280 , the 5870 lost to the GTX480 , so it seems AMD want to continue the losing streak by having the 6970 lose to the GTX580 :lol:

The 4800 series wasn't exactly geared to go against the GTX 200 series. :teehee:

nor was the 5 series ment to beat the GTX400 series either, Didnt the 48xx come out before the GTX280?? And we all know the 5870 came out MANY MANY months before the GTX 480... If the 280, 480, and now 580. didnt beat the cards they were intended to beat, then nVidia would have been in ALOT of trouble.

I dont understand how people get so upset when one side loses to the other... they are always half a generation behind or ahead of each other... for months and months and months and months not only was ATI the king of DX11, but they had the highest performance cards as well with the 5series. If the GTX400 series hadnt been better than the HD5000?? Lol, so much for competition, because the green team would be out of business.

Now i to am slightly bummed with the 6970, but you have to rememember the 6970 wasnt ment to compete with the GTX580... it was ment to beat the GTX480, which it did. Nobody was expecting another flagship GPU release from nVidia this year, and apparently especially not AMD because they were caught off guard as well. AMD has throughly accomplished their goals, however nVidia just one-upped themselves as well as AMD by releasing the GTX580.

Either way im not entirely convinced yet about what im going to do, I still really want a 6970. But the noise is my biggest concern now. Apparently when the drivers/bio control the fan, its actually not that bad. But manual control makes it CRAZY loud. Realistically i should just save my money and finish paying off my PoS car, so that i can buy/lease a brand new one. But Meh, my 5770 blows tongue.gif lol

To me the only benchmark that counts is Crysis... The GTX 580 beats the 6970 in the first slide but after that its either draws or the nVidia one getting beaten by the Ati one... so that's pretty good. I like the 6950 cause it's cooler and as fast as the 570 and sometimes faster.

ATIteehee.gif

To me the only benchmark that counts is Crysis... The GTX 580 beats the 6970 in the first slide but after that its either draws or the nVidia one getting beaten by the Ati one... so that's pretty good. I like the 6950 cause it's cooler and as fast as the 570 and sometimes faster.

ATIteehee.gif

What's the 6990 gonna be like with those performances by the HD6970/6950?

the 6970 is not faster than the 570 in every game. Not even close to this. There are many cases that the 570 is better. There are cases where the 570 beats the 6970 by a lot. A whole lot. Its not accurate to say the 6970>570 even if you would choose it that way.

BUT........

Have you seen the CF performance of the 6900s, its absolute.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950-cayman,2818-18.html

I didnt believe my eyes, it would be good to look thru the other pages in that article. Any game the 570 wins in (and some are by ALOT) it looses to in multi GPU comparison. Nvidia is gonna be in trouble now cause the new 6900s CF put sli to shame.

Overall i t

The price is good and thermals are also good when not crossfired. The crossfire scaling is excellent, but the temperatures seem to increase too much.

Overall Nvidia gpus are still better for me cause ATI/AMD sucks at folding@home.

its actually more fair to say folding@home sucks at ATI/AMD. As the size of the WU goes up, so does the performance of the ati cards vs. the nv cards, but none of them are big enough to level the playing field. not to mention that the gpu3 client was written specifically for nv cards. If they wrote a client that ran on Brooks+ for the ati cards, then the scores would be a lot fairer rather than having a generic client vs a cuda client.

I though reference cards had voltage tweak?,correct me if i am wrong ,do only non-reference cards have voltage tweak?

Its just commonly used software does not support it pre launch

the 6970 is not faster than the 570 in every game. Not even close to this. There are many cases that the 570 is better. There are cases where the 570 beats the 6970 by a lot. A whole lot. Its not accurate to say the 6970>570 even if you would choose it that way.

BUT........

Have you seen the CF performance of the 6900s, its absolute.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950-cayman,2818-18.html

I didnt believe my eyes, it would be good to look thru the other pages in that article. Any game the 570 wins in (and some are by ALOT) it looses to in multi GPU comparison. Nvidia is gonna be in trouble now cause the new 6900s CF put sli to shame.

Overall i t

Until the optimizations are taking out of the equation the numbers are suspect any way you look at it.

Crossfire scaling has been horrible for so long that they are finally getting it closer in many newer games .

My problem with driver enhancements is that you can only show 10%+ gains in performance with drivers for so long until image quality just sucks. AMD is using these optimizations now after NVIDIA did a while back so its a toss up when you get down to the slim differences in performance.. Also take a look in the CCC if you have an ATI card...you can no longer disable Catalyst AI for a reason

Im not disappointed in the 6970 at all...... Its a hundred and twenty dollars cheaper...... Buy two of them and run them in crossfire. When the 6990 comes out what's nVidia going to compete with then? Yes I know they're "talking" about a 595 but honestly I reallly doubt they ever even come out with that card. They're going to ride the 580 out as long as they possibly can just like with the 480.......... Im sticking with ATI/AMD

if you like amd/ati, get used to it lol

I dont have to My allegiance is to performance

Im not disappointed in the 6970 at all...... Its a hundred and twenty dollars cheaper...... Buy two of them and run them in crossfire. When the 6990 comes out what's nVidia going to compete with then? Yes I know they're "talking" about a 595 but honestly I reallly doubt they ever even come out with that card. They're going to ride the 580 out as long as they possibly can just like with the 480.......... Im sticking with ATI/AMD

Theres no telling what is in the works at NVIDIA. I honestly think the GTX 580 surprised AMD. The original target was the 480 so I think the 2 week delay came down to what it took to get the presentations in order and get all the game testing down for that as well as getting the driver ready. Thats my take on the whole delay but I most likely am wrong in my assumptions..

BTW there is no more ATI its AMD Radeon LOL