Watercooling for a HAF 932, help wanted

Kieron

Hey, I'm currently in the planning process of a watercooling system for my PC (current specs listed in sig).

I feel that I've exhausted my options with aircooling, aswell as gotten enough hands on experience with it that i need to take it to the next level, i.e watercooling.

So my questions are:

-Is there any other solution than radiators for cooling the liquid? If possible, I'd like to have all components internal. I've seen some chassis' with inbuilt "refrigerator" solutions, so if anyone knows of similar systems that can be bought separate from the chassis, and preferably in smaller scale that would be great.

-is there a liquid additive i can use to get lower temp without damaging the system?

-Wich bay mounted temp display/control should i go for? Ive seen loads, but i cant seem to find any feedback on weither they are crap or good. I could always loot one and bastardize it into an external display, but that wouldnt look as good.

When i have a plan for the cooling, I'm giong to upgrade a few components, so those that will be cooled by the system will be listed below for reference.

-Processor: i7 930 OC'd to 4,357 Ghz

-GPU: 2x 5970 (or single or dual 6970 when its released)

-RAM: I was considering OCZ Flex Ex PC-17000 12GB Kit but I'm very open to suggestions here.

Also, im not too sure what other components i should include in the system, so further suggestions are much appreciated.

To conclude, I'm brand new to watercooling, other than what Google has taught me, so any and all feedback/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks from Norway (the bloody cold part up north)

Edited by Kieron

do u guys have motul products??? they have a water wetter, cant remember the exact name but ive used it in my previous race cars and bikes as it has no glycol.. and it reduces temps in a car 15degs from what it already is, obviously u wont get that in a comp as it doesnt run anywhere near as hot as an engine, but it will lower the temps lower than glycol based coolants can.. :)

its blue in colour

well for starters i have a HAF 932 as well and the watercooling itself cost me about 400-500 bucks so just make sure you have the money set out for it

one thing i would suggest on the video cards, i recommend you stick with a single card so you dont have to pay extra, my single 5970s block cost 145 versus 220ish for two 5870 blocks. maybe you should wait for the 6990?

im not exactly an expert but if you arent using a radiator based watercooling system then thats probably phase change or something that i have no idea about :D i think watercooling is your best bet for 24/7 use

i dont have alot of experience with the bay controllers but my NZXT sentry LX is pretty awesome, it hast temp probes that seem pretty acurate (havent used them personally, makes the case look messy)

Thanks for the response guys =)

The reason I wanted a liquid additive was to manage without external radiators, if i can get by on for instance a 120.3 in the top (wich i still havent checked if i have room for) and a 120.1 in the back, I wouldnt need to look for different liquid cooling solutions.

I think im going to get far just by using quality radiators with good fans, and proper planning on the placement of radiators.

Im a bit unsure of how to run my loops with the setup I have in mind now.

So far the theory is a .3 rad in the roof of the case, and a .1 in the back, should i run these on one loop with the flow going by the .1 rad midways through to dissipate some of the heat, or should i use the .1 for a separate loop? If i were to use it for a independent loop, I wonder if it would be strong enough to handle either CPU or GPU, and using a rad for the ramcooling flow alone seems like overkill.

Edit: Found a kickass single rad that i can use for the CPU cooling, or mount midway in the flow, just have to try out the 2 sets i guess...

Seems like the setup i had in mind will come to approx 800-850$. Might be able to shave 100$ if I sweettalk my supplier ;)

Thanks to you guys and google i think i have a viable plan now, currently im going with:

CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT

GPU: Swiftech GPU-waterblock Komodo (went with a mid-quality since I'll swap graph card when the 6900 series is available)

Chipset: Swiftech MCW30

Tank/Pump: XSPC X2O 750 Dual5.25 Bay reservoir pump (inbuilt 750 l/ph pump)

Radiators: MIST Extreme 3x120, MIST Extreme 1x120

Fans: Papst Fan, 4412F2GM 140m³/h, 38 dB(A)

Tubes: Not decided, my supplier only delivers ClearFlex tubes, wich I've heard clouds up fairly fast. And i was considering high quality colored tubes, since I dont want to use any dye in the system.

If I've missed something critical, please let me know, any feedback is much appreciated ;)

Edited by Kieron

dude you have the same case, check out my tread in my sig. should give you an idea. i also suggest drawing it out because i got really confused by the 2nd hour lol.

i also suggest 1 loop, way to many tubes otherwise.

Edited by hornybluecow

Thanks man, I'll have a look ;)

Also, I have no idea why I have claimed to have a 5870 in my PC.... I have a 5970, and on that note, im searching for a block for it, but if I order within Norway, im limited to either a Swiftech Epsilon, aquagratiX, or CoolIT OMNI A.L.C.

I have no idea if any of these are any good, Google is once again providing too much info :P

Anyone have any experience with these, or a suggestion for a block thats good enough for me to consider ordering it overseas?

if your stuck with picking between those 3 i would go with Swiftech Epsilon. swiftech isnt that bad but DangerDen and EK blocks are better if you can get one. on i side note i thought EK was based in Europe.

edit: depending on your video card vender you may not be able to use a full block. make sure its a reference version http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/home

Edited by hornybluecow

i got a WC setup on my 932, ill snap a few pics of it and edit my post. the best setup would be to have 1 loop, this will keep the air flow high since there wont be so much tubes block air flow. you can fit 120mmx3 rad at the top in push/pull config. i would suggest to have the list of component done first and now what going into the system since its pain in the butt to remove the loop and re-do it.( at least for me since i am lazy). Also i would suggest from personal xp to plan a loop that can be removed with out having to drain it.( at least i prefer it this way )

img0099q.jpgimg0100h.jpgimg0103p.jpg

img0101is.jpgimg0102qb.jpg

ps. i didnt plug in temp so it allways reads 0c, i wish it was really 0c though :evilgrin:

Edited by insan3

Thanks for the feedback =)

As for the loop, atm my plan is to run 3 rads, 1 120.3 and 2x 120.1 in sequence, since I'll be OC'ing the 5970, and getting a 2d 5970, also OC'd, in addition to the CPU, I'll be looking at some serious heat.

Would splitting the loop be a bad thing? That is, Pump -> Rads -> Y splitter, 1 to CPU, one to GPU -> Y splitter, linking the loops together again?

That way i wouldnt get heated water from the CPU to cool further components, but fresh cooled water for both.

Between the DangerDen and EK waterblock, they cost respectively 120 USD, and 130 Euro's. The price difference here is irrelevant to me, i just want the best product. I'll be looking at some user testimonials for both before i decide, thanks again for the tip =)