Is the 5850 and 5870 not a good option for Win 7 64bit

I have a 5850 on Win 7 64bit and have never had a problem? Only time I've gotten a BSOD is trying to find stable OC's nor have I had issues with drivers, but maybe I'm the lucky one?

Ditto. My 5870 on Win7 64Bit is also very stable, no issues. As others have said you should do very well with it and the 5800 series are pretty decent overclockers.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. My 5870 on Win7 64Bit is also very stable, no issues. As others have said you should do very well with it and the 5800 series are pretty decent overclockers.

I had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with an HIS 5850 and encountered no problems.

I've had a 5850 , 5870 and 5970 and all of them worked great on Windows 7 .

I test with Win 7 64 Pro and have not had any problems other than those of my own making.

I had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with an HIS 5850 and encountered no problems.

Your guys' positive input is making me smile ear-to-ear and my wait even more harder. Cannot wait for Wednesday to be here :)

5850 here, running like a dream :cheers:

I checked the UPS tracking number and it says that the video card is out for delivery. :D I am so excited, cannot wait to get off work, go home, and open this baby up (I feel all giggly inside lol)

Edited by gmupatriot2010

Hey everyone, so I finally received my XFX 5850 and I installed the video card and plugged in the 2 six-pin plugs. Upon pressing the power button, the computer would not POST the bios at all. After 30 or so seconds I would hear 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. So I took the card out put my older card back into the mobo and everything worked fine. I researched online about this and it seems that almost 90% of the users who have the Asus P5NE-SLI motherboard are having trouble with the 58xx series ATI cards. Its something to do with the NVidia chip or something. I heard that updating the bios to the latest 1406 might solve the issue.

This is where things went bad. I downloaded the latest BIOS and put in on a USB drive. Restarted the comp, went into the BIOS, and under tool say the EZ Flash or something similar. Used that to flash the BIOS from 1301 to 1406. After the flash the computer restarted and just hung at a message saying "New CPU detected, writing BIOSNIP in progressing" "Do NOT turn off or reset comptuer"..well after waiting for about 15 - 20 minutes nothing happened. So I was forced to restart the computer and now if wont post again, but this time its with the video card that DID work...am I out of a mobo guys? Is this thing bricked?

I took out the battery and tried to reset the CMOS that way but nothing works!! Any help?? Please

taking the batt out only sets everything to default.. if uve killed it via a bad flash, doin that wont achieve anything...

if it failed a bios update and doesnt post anymore.. it sounds like its bricked lol

i only know of the top mobos that can be flashed via another computer/laptop... urs doesnt have that option... im suprised the vid card didnt work.. thats a bit of a shock...

had a read of ur mobo and it seems ur not the only one as u suggested.. id be getting a new mobo.. gigabyte one.. u wont have any problems then :)

misflash....RMA the board!! (everyone wonders why I hate nvidia chipsets :rolleyes: )

Oh maaaan!!...I purchased this computer from Best Buy in late spring 2008. The computer is a MicroVelocity computer so I dont know if Asus will accept my RMA for this board. Unfortunately, MicroVelocity only provides a warranty for 1 year. Ahh...this sucks. Well it seems like I will be out of a comp for at least 4-6 weeks.

This will give me the reason to build a new computer with an i7 9xx series chip to compliment the XFX 5850 :P