Which cpu?

Thanks guys, was thinking about this while raking my leaves this weekend. I think I will go Phenom II X3 740 and hope that the additional core unlocks and is stable and have the SSD. I've got about $300 to spend on an OS drive and cpu, so that should work.

not so fast there big guy

your computer has worse parts you need to change out other than the hard drive

have you considered the added cost of DDR3 yet?

I'm not sure what kind of games you play but I recently upgraded my 4890

earthwatts is decent but I would buy a nicer PSU this black friday

if you really want an SSD get a 60GB one since you are on a budget

prices will drop by the time you need more storage

you plan to use the realtek audio? it's good enough but I probably would get a card since I listen to music and movies way too much

Hey Potatochabit, none of my current parts are going to be held over. I'm selling my current rig to my parents, it will be overkill for them.

Here's my list of parts so far:

Already Purchased

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

PSU: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Card Reader: Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3 ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port

BluRay DVD Player: LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader Model iHOS104-08

Storage HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Need to Purchase

DDR3: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

CPU HSF: Need suggestions

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz AM3

SSD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

BluRay Burner: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA iHBS212 LightScribe

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1(prefer AMD, had one REALLY bad experience with nVidia)

Sound: On-board sound, while I might loose some frames rates in games, it's good enough that a sound card is just an add expense that I really don't need

Pretty happy, so far I've been getting most of the hardware on Newegg.com Shellshockers, or from my local Fry's in their weekly ads. Nothing has cost me over $75 so far (after rebates), but I know the most expensive items are coming.

Edited by pkilway

Do AM2+ cpu's fit AM3 mobo's (that 715 you linked is an AM2+ cpu)? I didn't think so, but if so Newegg.com has a AMD Phenom II X4 940 AM2+ Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz for only $95.99.

Updated my earlier post to show the rest of the components I was going/planning to purchase.

Edited by pkilway

Do AM2+ cpu's fit AM3 mobo's (that 715 you linked is an AM2+ cpu)? I didn't think so, but if so Newegg.com has a AMD Phenom II X4 940 AM2+ Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz for only $95.99.

Updated my earlier post to show the rest of the components I was going/planning to purchase.

am3 cpus will work on am2+ mobos so i would think it would work the otherway around

Ok, so the GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD mobo I have which supports DDR3 can support an AM2+ cpu? The Phenom II X3 715 AM2+ cpu is not listed as a supported cpu.

No, that's an AM3 Socket only motherboard.

last i checked am3 boards dont support am2 cpus but am2 boards support am3 cpus with a bios flash...

am3 has 938 pins.. am2 has 939 from memory.. so i cant see how its gonna work when it doesnt have all the pins for it..

2nd id go the x4 seeing as u can afford that, but if u can stretch im another x6 user and im not lookin back..