HTPC Water Cooling Project

Hey guys I've had this Omaura TF8 HTPC for awhile now and I've upgraded it over time and now its getting to the point where I can only run it with the cover off.

So I searched around and found a pump and reservoir that would fit just fine but I cant seem to find some type of low profile Radiator. I found out that if I dremel some small brackets down I can fit my 2TB hard drive under my cdrom drive leaving a bunch of space for the pump reservoir and radiator.

But I've never put together a cooling set before so I was hoping what types of tubing you think I should use for use a such small case... or if that even matters... or any problems Id run into trying to set it up

Any help would be great :)

1-4.jpg

CIMG0124.jpg

CIMG0122.jpg

Edited by privateapples

Question: WHY? WHYYYYYYYY?

It's not like you need to OC it, it's a damn HTPC.

Seems like a silly idea to watercool something so tiny.

He said it was at the point where he had to leave the cover off, i assume becuase it runs hot, i dont see him being able to mount any decent heatsink in that small of a case, where a water block would fit nicely

• Like 1

He said it was at the point where he had to leave the cover off, i assume becuase it runs hot, i dont see him being able to mount any decent heatsink in that small of a case, where a water block would fit nicely

He could always get one of those low profile ones.

But I digress...

I suggest a CoolIT ECO ALC, or a Corsair H50

Im going to Mirror what Cokeman has said. A lack of air is a lack of air and no cooling solution will remedy that if its not fed properly. I would suggest getting better fans and seeing what the result is. ;)

Maybe move one of the Hard drives out and use that as an intake and the three other fans (psu and above board fans) as an exhaust.

Edited by boinker

Question: WHY? WHYYYYYYYY?

It's not like you need to OC it, it's a damn HTPC.

Seems like a silly idea to watercool something so tiny.

+1. No reason to watercool an HTPC. Epic waste of $ IMO.

• Like 1

I can think of a pretty good reason to water cool a HTPC- noise. Since it doesnt need to dissipate some rediculous amount of heat, a self-contained water cooling system (H50, ALC, H70, etc) if implemented with the right fans could potentially cut down on the noise and simultaneously provide better cooling. As was said earlier though, airflow is needed either way. Finding a way to increase the airflow inside the case should be your top priority. Afterwards, one of the above mentioned water coolers would probably be really nice and cost effective to boot.

+1. No reason to watercool an HTPC. Epic waste of $ IMO.

Not really, I see it done all the time. Its about noise reduction over absolute cooling power

I can think of a pretty good reason to water cool a HTPC- noise. Since it doesnt need to dissipate some rediculous amount of heat, a self-contained water cooling system (H50, ALC, H70, etc) if implemented with the right fans could potentially cut down on the noise and simultaneously provide better cooling. As was said earlier though, airflow is needed either way. Finding a way to increase the airflow inside the case should be your top priority. Afterwards, one of the above mentioned water coolers would probably be really nice and cost effective to boot.

Again unless you run everything out to an external cooling tower getting airflow through your chassis would be a huge improvement.