Upgrading Gaming Computer

Brutality

Come to think of it.. I think I made a typo in my computer specs with the RAM...

I've got two 400MHz RAMs... so basically It's supposed to be

2x 2048MB Corsair PC2-6400 800Mhz DDR2

right?

Cheers Brutality

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The i7 870 isn't a 1366, it's a 1156 which means only dual channel memory as well (so those second ram kits wont work either :P )

I recommended the hyper 212+ since it's the best cooler for cheap, but if you can spend more than I'd get a Corsair H50, Prolimatech Megahalems or Noctua D14 as they are the best around for simple setup units.

What does the H50 run for over there??

Really? I can't be the only person here that reads this thread and wonders how a guy who has an obvious lack of PC knowledge is supposedly beta testing a game that he could break NDA on leaking.

Please tell me you at least stole this and are scared, lmao ;)

Sorry, but I smell....cough, cough...BS

Edited by SpeedwayNative

Yeah, I just tested running my Hyper 212+ on my overclocked 1090T with my new Sniper case, and it only reaches 50C max in Prime95! Max temp for the 1090T is 62C.

THAT'S INSANE!! I think that's a pretty good testament to it's performance, and the price speaks for itself.

The i7 870 isn't a 1366, it's a 1156 which means only dual channel memory as well (so those second ram kits wont work either :P )

I recommended the hyper 212+ since it's the best cooler for cheap, but if you can spend more than I'd get a Corsair H50, Prolimatech Megahalems or Noctua D14 as they are the best around for simple setup units.

What does the H50 run for over there??

But the first guy to post here told me to get 2 more gigs of ram, so I need 6 gigs of RAM... and I haven't found any 2x 3gb sets so that means I need a motherboard/processor that supports tri-channel, I guess?

H50 costs $90 or 65€ or 55£ here

Really? I can't be the only person here that reads this thread and wonders how a guy who has an obvious lack of PC knowledge is supposedly beta testing a game that he could break NDA on leaking.

Please tell me you at least stole this and are scared, lmao ;)

Sorry, but I smell....cough, cough...BS

You don't need hardware knowledge to beta test games...

EDIT:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm got me confused - looking at this, then the Spire Thermax Eclipse II is best >_<

I'd rather get the best cooling for my CPU if it's better to overclock my E8500 than get a new cpu (This "bottlenecking" still haven't been clarified to me)

Edited by Brutality

This "bottlenecking" still haven't been clarified to me

Let me try summarise it . When you have a high end graphics card , you need a decent cpu to supply it with information so it can give you the best performance .

In cars its like this : When you have a high performance car , you need a decent octane fuel to give you the best performance.

If you do not have a cpu that can supply the graphics card enough infomation then you will get less frames in games (which equals less performance)

In games that use more than one core to feed data , the performance drop will be greater .

You can counter this performance drop by getting a good cooler and by overclocking it so it is faster and can try make up for the performance lost.

Let me try summarise it . When you have a high end graphics card , you need a decent cpu to supply it with information so it can give you the best performance .

In cars its like this : When you have a high performance car , you need a decent octane fuel to give you the best performance.

If you do not have a cpu that can supply the graphics card enough infomation then you will get less frames in games (which equals less performance)

In games that use more than one core to feed data , the performance drop will be greater .

You can counter this performance drop by getting a good cooler and by overclocking it so it is faster and can try make up for the performance lost.

Ah, I see! Thanks alot

So what do you reckon? Overclock my e8500 (or get e8600 and overclock) with Noctua NH-D14 and Spire Thermax Eclipse II (or a third) or get the i7 870 (prolly stock - might OC later when I get some more money, heh) or a different CPU (I just compared my e8500 with all AMD Phenom II models and i3, i5 and i7 models)

Many thanks in advance! - Brutality

PS. BIG thanks to everybody, you've all been a great help to me so far =)

Ah, I see! Thanks alot

So what do you reckon? Overclock my e8500 (or get e8600 and overclock) with Noctua NH-D14 and Spire Thermax Eclipse II (or a third) or get the i7 870 (prolly stock - might OC later when I get some more money, heh) or a different CPU (I just compared my e8500 with all AMD Phenom II models and i3, i5 and i7 models)

LGA1366 and LGA1156 are all dead sockets. It wouldnt help upgrading and then you would be stuck without upgrade options .

I would keep the e8500 (probably will overclock the same as a e8600) and get a decent cooler , the Noctua NH-D14 is a monster and one of the best coolers INMO but its very big . It might obstruct ram sinks or will not fit in your case . The duos dont produce as much heat as an i7 so im sure a Frio or H50 will keep the e8500 cool during overclocking.

LGA1366 and LGA1156 are all dead sockets. It wouldnt help upgrading and then you would be stuck without upgrade options .

I would keep the e8500 (probably will overclock the same as a e8600) and get a decent cooler , the Noctua NH-D14 is a monster and one of the best coolers INMO but its very big . It might obstruct ram sinks or will not fit in your case . The duos dont produce as much heat as an i7 so im sure a Frio or H50 will keep the e8500 cool during overclocking.

Cool, thanks alot - When I get home on Sunday I'll start measuring and get the best cooler for my cpu and then I might return asking about OCin it :P

But should I get some more or different RAMs for my Asus P5Q MB? (I'll check which one I've got when I get home, as well - Seems like there are some models which support PC3-12800 and some don't etc.)

PS. Should I buy the e8600? and overclock that instead of the e8600? =P

Edited by Brutality