Q9550 worth it?

I've had this system for two years now, still pretty happy with it. Only thing I can think of, is to go to quad-core with a Q9550 or similar. Being the old architecture, is it worth it? I'm not interested in upgrading the RAM and motherboard at this point.

How would the Q9550 get along with my Asus P5Q-D? Will my Thermalright Ultima-90 still be enough?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done much research on the price, found it at newegg.com for $275. My E8500 is already at "full capacity" 3.8ghz. ;) I have considered upgrading the video card, but I don't play enough games to justify it. I'm also worried about stretching this Enermax Liberty 500w, it's around five years old now.

I haven't done much research on the price, found it at newegg.com for $275. My E8500 is already at "full capacity" 3.8ghz. ;) I have considered upgrading the video card, but I don't play enough games to justify it. I'm also worried about stretching this Enermax Liberty 500w, it's around five years old now.

What are your bios settings for that CPU freq, you should be able to overclock well over my Q9450 (which can do 4ghz)

$275 is not worth it, that's more than buying an i7 or even a six core AMD

Here's a Q9450 for $160 which I think is STILL too expensive considering THIS is brand new

I was simply bouncing the idea around, now I've decided I don't need the processor. Due to its age, I'm replacing the PSU.

once in a while microcenter has good deals on that one....i got lucky and bought one for my mother in law build from MCtr back in the spring for cheap ($189.00 if i remember right, it was worth it at the time) but i guess they're harder to come by now...

I was simply bouncing the idea around, now I've decided I don't need the processor. Due to its age, I'm replacing the PSU.

Is there anything wrong with the PSU?? If it's not having issues why replace it (unless you need a bigger unit for a more power consuming graphics card you're thinking about putting in)

i would rather save the cash or upgrade the graphic card.

Or drop in a second 4870 but that would require a PSU upgrade for sure.

once in a while microcenter has good deals on that one....i got lucky and bought one for my mother in law build from MCtr back in the spring for cheap ($189.00 if i remember right, it was worth it at the time) but i guess they're harder to come by now...

Maybe you could get his e8500 and switch it with her Q9550 :ph34r: ....she'll never know and HT will get his upgrade ;)

Is there anything wrong with the PSU?? If it's not having issues why replace it (unless you need a bigger unit for a more power consuming graphics card you're thinking about putting in)

Or drop in a second 4870 but that would require a PSU upgrade for sure.

Maybe you could get his e8500 and switch it with her Q9550 :ph34r: ....she'll never know and HT will get his upgrade ;)

hehe MIL has capabilities built into that one that she will never come close to utilizing...she would never know but I would

hehe MIL has capabilities built into that one that she will never come close to utilizing...she would never know but I would

you could do the switch for like $50 or something, she'd actually gain performance (as I'm assuming she's running it stock at 2.83ghz whereas his stock is 3.16ghz ;) )

I would overclock the E8500 and get a GTX 460, but then again how cheap can you get the quad core?

:withstupid: You have a great motherboard and CPU. Get yourself a better Cooling solution and overclock it hard.