Cpu Upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my Phenom II x4 945 and I was wondering what to upgrade to, I was looking at the i7 875k i7 930 and Phenom 1090t. I mostly use my computer for gaming and compressing video, thanks in advance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A possible motherboard, processor and memory upgrade then?

What's your budget?

Your current CPU isn't bad and it could end up costing a lot of money for little gain especially gaming. A Phenom II X6 upgrade would probably help with the video if your motherboard will take it?

What is your current PC specification?

A possible motherboard, processor and memory upgrade then?

What's your budget?

Your current CPU isn't bad and it could end up costing a lot of money for little gain especially gaming. A Phenom II X6 upgrade would probably help with the video if your motherboard will take it?

What is your current PC specification?

I have an Antec 770 board which will support the hexacores with a bios update but I am kind of concerned with overclocking could I do that using my current chipset for a hexacore?

oh and also I have a radeon hd 5870 which I believe is being held back by my video card and dual band 1066 ddr3 memory, my budget by the way is $500.

Edited by Flyguy2000

Can't find the exact model of your motherboard but if anything is holding back the graphics card then the processor is favourite although a 3GHz Quad Core isn't that bad. Have you tried overclocking your current processor?

I have an Antec 770 board which will support the hexacores with a bios update but I am kind of concerned with overclocking could I do that using my current chipset for a hexacore?

oh and also I have a radeon hd 5870 which I believe is being held back by my video card and dual band 1066 ddr3 memory, my budget by the way is $500.

Your most cost effective upgrade is to get a decent aftermarket cooler and overclock your current CPU. If that doesn't give you enough of a boost then maybe look at a hex core (1055t) as the next least expensive upgrade and overclock that. I doubt that your 5870 is being held back.

Can't find the exact model of your motherboard but if anything is holding back the graphics card then the processor is favourite although a 3GHz Quad Core isn't that bad. Have you tried overclocking your current processor?

I have but I can only get to like 3.2 ghz and it crashes a bit, does that have to do with the cooling?

If your mobo supports the x 6 cpus, it is a simple $200 upgrade......... I would get a Coolermaster Hyper 212. They are like $30 and will handle the CPU easily and way better than stock cooling. Like Dihartnell suggested, maybe get the hyper 212 for $30 and call it a day.

Edited by Drdeath

u should get more than 3.2ghz.. i was running mine at 3.45ghz with the stock fan without any problems.. though with my current setup (1055t) ive noticed that ram can hold the overclock back... so maybe ur ram is just crap..

ive seen 945 go to 4ghz with aftermarket coolers and some voltages.. but then again... what current amd cpu doesnt hit 4ghz lol

u should get more than 3.2ghz.. i was running mine at 3.45ghz with the stock fan without any problems.. though with my current setup (1055t) ive noticed that ram can hold the overclock back... so maybe ur ram is just crap..

ive seen 945 go to 4ghz with aftermarket coolers and some voltages.. but then again... what current amd cpu doesnt hit 4ghz lol

Yours! :lol:;)