I'm now a believer...

Waco

I'm going to apologize in advance for the lack of pics - don't have the camera on me at the moment although pics were taken! I upgraded (and dammit I do mean upgraded) from a Tuniq Tower 120 to a Prolimatec Megahalems Rev. B with dual Coolermaster R4 fans in push/pull at 5 volts. HOLY CRAP!!!

My max overclock prior to the upgrade was a smooth 400x8 at 1.35 volts for 3.2 GHz. Not too shabby but nothing to write home about. Temps, on the other hand, were. High 70s to low 80s under load with the fan at it's minimum speed (the only setting where it was inaudible).

Today I installed the Megahalems (Why does it have an s at the end? There's only one! :lol:) and was floored. At my old settings for my max OC I ended up with an idle temp in the low 30s with a max load temp (using IntelBurnTest) in the mid 50s. Holy mother.ing .. :woot:

Obviously at this point I started to crank up my clocks. 400x9 was unattainable, sadly, but dropping to 389x9 (for 3.503 GHz) passed on the first try at 1.425 volts. Max load temps are sitting at 70 C after 3 hours running IntelBurnTest. :thumbsup:

I thought the Tuniq Tower was good...but apparently the monstrous heat load of my crappy CPU just overwhelmed it. I won't use anything that's not silent and damn does this cooler work well with slow fans. :D

Pics to follow in the next day or so. It's a sexy beast. :)

I hate it when people say I told you so but.....

I told you so.

Seriously though congrats and enjoy.

i guess now that waco has certified megahalems for use by the general population i ought to consider putting one on the daughters q6600/dp45sg...!!(it always runs warm)...but nah, she's just gonna move out and take it with her when she finishes college anyway...

i'm glad it worked out for ya waco !!

Good choice of cooler. I've been nothing but impressed with my Megahalems, both the original and the Revision B. It's running my Q9550 at 4.0GHz with respectable temps even in Intel Burn Test. Had to crank the voltage a little more when I stopped using LLC and the voltage increase didn't translate into more than a 1 degree Celsius rise in temps. Definitely a capable cooler and able to handle more than I can throw at it. Seems a good choice for any 775/AM2 quad-core as well as a stout performer when used to cool 1156 and 1366 CPUs. Have fun!

Thats a damn good improvement, what will it do at full fan speed though?

It drops be a few degrees more but I think I'm at the limit of my actual chip. Heat certainly isn't the issue. A side bonus is that the backside of my 4870X2 actually gets cooled now since the cooler draws air right over it.

I hate it when people say I told you so but.....

I told you so.

Seriously though congrats and enjoy.

:lol: Yeah, sorry for ever doubting you! The more heat I throw at the thing the more it impresses me. :)

Pictures!!!

I'll try to get some pictures of it up and running when the room is dark. It's not super-bright but it has a faint red glow throughout the case. :)