Advice on a new cooler for my rig.

Imagine

Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could offer me advice on a new cooler that sells for £50 to £60 not including delivery. I'm currently running stock cooling for my Phenom II X2 550 and I realize it is JUNK. I mean seriously 40C with AMD Cool and Quiet enabled and the CPU is running at 800Mhz. Anyway I'm currently looking into buying a Corsair H50 set http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=39338&category_id=664&manufacturer_id=0&tid=cwch50-1

Main reason I'm looking at it is that I hear it's VERY reliable, it's a good performer and surprisingly easy to install. Call me old fashioned but I used to think liquid cooling was expensive but it really isn't, £58 isn't as steep as I thought and besides I get to show off ;)

Either that or this http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=22761&category_id=98&manufacturer_id=0 which would be best :P

Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could offer me advice on a new cooler that sells for £50 to £60 not including delivery. I'm currently running stock cooling for my Phenom II X2 550 and I realize it is JUNK. I mean seriously 40C with AMD Cool and Quiet enabled and the CPU is running at 800Mhz. Anyway I'm currently looking into buying a Corsair H50 set http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=39338&category_id=664&manufacturer_id=0&tid=cwch50-1

Main reason I'm looking at it is that I hear it's VERY reliable, it's a good performer and surprisingly easy to install. Call me old fashioned but I used to think liquid cooling was expensive but it really isn't, £58 isn't as steep as I thought and besides I get to show off ;)

Either that or this http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=22761&category_id=98&manufacturer_id=0 which would be best :P

I would go with the high end noctua cooler if I was you. If you want an even better solution then the D14 outperforms the h-50.

That being said the noctua cooler you posted there will work just fine. That chip, unless the cores are unlocked and overclocked, runs pretty cool compaired to other phenom's.

The only better soution then that would be to get a custom WC system. that would run you more along 300USD.

Thanks for that everybody who knows about computers I've asked refers me to that same noctua cooler saying its "best price / performance in my range" my only question is how will it perform with the four cores unlocked and the clock nudged upwards? £60 is the upper limit of my budget for a cooler because I'm still waiting for GTS450 to drop in so I can see which card to go for.

EDIT** I just noticed the D14 you mentioned is only £9 more than what I listed http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=51998&tid=gsearch This just got interesting :P

Edited by Imagine

Enough room in my case or motherboard? How would I make sure it would fit. I currently have a Xigmatek Asgard case as shown here

please ignore the over dramatic music :P . My motherboard is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2 how would I make sure it will fit ?

EDIT** The case dimensions are as follows WxHxL: 185x408x475mm

Edited by Imagine

It makes sense that the Xigmatek cases would allow for the higher-end Xigmatek heatsinks, so if the hight for the D14 is close to that of any of the Xigmatek ones then it should work.

I would go with the high end noctua cooler if I was you. If you want an even better solution then the D14 outperforms the h-50.

That being said the noctua cooler you posted there will work just fine. That chip, unless the cores are unlocked and overclocked, runs pretty cool compaired to other phenom's.

The only better soution then that would be to get a custom WC system. that would run you more along 300USD.

Although they are not that far apart, the Noctua D14 DOES NOT outperform the H50(push and pull baby!). The D14 is one of the best air cooling solutions available though.

Edited by Drdeath

Seeing as the D14 won't fit on my motherboard I'll take the H50 which looks like a good solution and I see some very good reviews on overclockers and ccl.

might want to wait a while, the h70 is right around the corner

might want to wait a while, the h70 is right around the corner

Fair point. I'll have to see the price range the h70 drops in at. Hopefully it won't be significantly higher than the h50.

Fair point. I'll have to see the price range the h70 drops in at. Hopefully it won't be significantly higher than the h50.

Here's a review of the H70. From listed prices so far, I can see that it is going to be at least $100USD, when it is normally $70USD... :vmad:

Heh!. Judging by the review I'd take the H50 now. £22 extra for 2 - 5C doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. Besides my CPU should run much cooler than an i7 @ 4.00GHz even if I clocked it to the same speeds.