Movie sequels better than the original

InCrYsIs

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek II, anyone? Many consider it the best of all the Star Trek movies. Personally I prefer Star Trek VI, but Khan is right behind it for me.

I also think Iron Man 2 wasn't a better movie than Iron Man 1. It was definitely a good sequel, but not better (will give equal though). Too many gimmicks for me, and some not well done, in my opinion. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Let me know if someone starts a thread of sequels WORSE than the original. I can name a few.

Certainly Empire Strikes Back. Perhaps the greatest (certainly one of the greatest) sequels of all time. In my opinion, The Godfather Part 1 and Part 2 are both equally wonderful movies. I know a lot of folks will argue the second is better but I honestly cannot support that opinion.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I feel ashamed for not thinking of that one. Certainly beats Temple of Doom, for me at least, though I'm not sure about Raiders. I enjoy Crusade more, but Raiders quality wise, I'm not sure.

Good thing I don't work Fridays, I can watch them tomorrow to make up my mind. Thanks for getting me to render three more hours of my life useless.

It's really hard in my opinion to say any sequel is better than the original. The sequels are usually riding on the back of a successful original or they wouldn't get made! I have just been looking at the highest grossing films of all time and isn't it strange, with inflation taken into account, that more people paid to watch the third than the first LOTR movie?

.... and just look at how much the Avatar movie has made worldwide, $2,730,829,876! :woot:

I feel ashamed for not thinking of that one. Certainly beats Temple of Doom, for me at least, though I'm not sure about Raiders. I enjoy Crusade more, but Raiders quality wise, I'm not sure.

Good thing I don't work Fridays, I can watch them tomorrow to make up my mind. Thanks for getting me to render three more hours of my life useless.

No worries. Most of my day everyday is rendered useless by netflix watch instantly. Nice to have a state job.

IMO you can't beat the original Die Hard....

I too enjoyed the original Die Hard more than any of the sequels. Although I do think Raiders of the Lost Ark was the best Indy film (not to say The Last Crusade was a slouch, though). As far as the LotR films, I believe they got progressively better (more interesting) merely based on the story they were telling. I've read The Hobbit and the LotR trilogy many times and that's just kind of how it goes, the first act sets up the second, which sets up the climax. The Return of the King did rock my face off though, but then again, the other two films were excellent as well. Although they certainly didn't follow the books exactly I believe Jackson and company did about as good of a job translating the story to the screen as can be imagined.

Mmmmmm... can't wait for The Hobbit films.

If you considered Army of Darkness a "sequel" to Evil Dead then I'd say that film was more enjoyable. Hilariously classic.

Carry on.