Brink (360/PC/PS3)

WhenKittensATK

I'm not saying this game sucks or anything, I'd still like to play it, I think it looks like a lot of fun. The problem I have is that a lot of big titles try to come up with something new and revolutionize something in a game and they get an ego about it, all this game really focuses on is this SMART system which isn't anything special from what I've seen, maybe if this system allowed you to do things that would normally be scripted into most games then I would like it more but so far it doesn't seem much more advanced that mirror's edge. A good example of things I would like to see this smart system do is to give you the ability to aim at a ledge and grab it to keep from falling to your death from a 4 story building, this is something you often see in other games but it's always scripted or in a cut scene, I think to be able to do that kind of stuff in real time would make this a much better system. Another example would be if you were fighting some hand to hand on a roof top and they got you to edge of the roof and knocked you off then you could use the SMART system to reach out and grab that person to drag them with you or keep yourself from falling. I mean the thing is that this a FPS game, meaning the whole goal is to kill people and nothing else so instead of making the smart system only help you travel they need to make it assist you in combat. If it can't help in combat then it's just a gimmick in my opinion.

I think you have the wrong impression of the SMART feature. It is suppose to be intended to help you move around, escaping enemies/death, getting from point A to point B at faster speeds etc. After all SMART is Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain not "2045 gaming" where the player is sent into cyber space for the ultimate online experience :P

The only thing similar to TF2 are the class selections. One of Brinks cool features is it's customization system. You can change many things about your personal character from his hair, tattoos, attire, even body weight. So along with the body weight options, check out this video, close to the end he talks about how you can balance looks with physical abilities like overall agility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CxTL25fvg&feature=related

The video that krazy posted, they talk about how they went through "4 or 5 prototypes" to try and get it right. So...yeah i think they know what they are trying to do and what they are trying to get at ;)

Mirror's Edge sucked. The POV was horrible, the story barely hung together. If anything Mirros Edge is the one you should be calling out for having a "gimmick of a feature". Since it came out first, maybe (although i really have no idea) the devs learned from the mirrors edge developer mistakes. Just because that game came out first doesn't hold an advantage over Brink in my opinion.

Maybe that would be fun for an single player Action or RPG game but this is a multilayer FPS. It's true what krazy says, that style of gameplay doesn't really fit with Brink.

I didn't say they didn't know what they were doing, I just said it's different from what I thought it was originally.

You can think whatever you want about Mirror's Edge but it's still one of my favorite games and I'm not saying it holds an advantage of brink because of release dates, if anything I would expect brink to be better as it is being released several years after mirror's edge. As to how the free run features are a gimmick in mirror's edge, I don't see what you mean, you don't even really give a reason for saying it. In my opinion it's very fitting in mirror's edge because it's combat is hand to hand.

At this point I can see that having a feature like grabbing a ledge while falling would be useless because this game uses the 1 hit kill method.

I think you have the wrong impression of the SMART feature. It is suppose to be intended to help you move around, escaping enemies/death, getting from point A to point B at faster speeds etc. After all SMART is Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain not "2045 gaming" where the player is sent into cyber space for the ultimate online experience :P

I know I have the wrong impression, I already said that I was disappointed by it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to make fun of the game or anything, it's just different from what I thought it would be. It's not a big deal, I'll probably still play it.

I didn't say they didn't know what they were doing, I just said it's different from what I thought it was originally.

That might of been worded the wrong way on my part. What i meant by that is that if they went through that much testing, you can bet your butt off that they ran a lot of scenarios through their head. That's why i said they know what they are trying to get at.

You can think whatever you want about Mirror's Edge but it's still one of my favorite games and I'm not saying it holds an advantage of brink because of release dates, if anything I would expect brink to be better as it is being released several years after mirror's edge. As to how the free run features are a gimmick in mirror's edge, I don't see what you mean, you don't even really give a reason for saying it. In my opinion it's very fitting in mirror's edge because it's combat is hand to hand.

I guess this is where opinions come into play. The game just got boring after the first few levels for me. I mean the concept was good (it really was as i have always been a fan of Parkour, and this was pretty much that) but something was just missing from it.

Edited by damian

Brink Interview from QuakeCon

As you can tell from the interviews, they don't mention SMART vs everything else this game offers. SMART isn't their main focus nor feature for the game.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I know SMART isn't the only thing they are focusing on, but you have to see that from what has been released so far it's easy for me to see more potential in the game than what is really there. For example, as the end of your second video it shows a guy sliding over an obstacle and shooting at someone above him on a bridge, from stuff like that I do get the impression that you can do a lot of that kind of stuff with SMART. It's not a big deal though, I'm still looking forward to the game.

Something that he mentioned that I do like the idea of is that you can invite people into a single player game at any time, something that I think more online shooters could use since the only game I can think of right now that does this is fable 2.

Edited by Deathmineral

• 4 weeks later...

PAX 10: Bomb Defusal Walkthrough (Cam) HD

Some notable things:

Medic revives aren't instant. The player gets to choose when to be revived within a 9 second timer. If you ever played a BF game you will die -> be revived -> die -> revive :D

Wave based respawning, every 20 seconds.

provided it's dedicated servers, i'm sure the spawn time can be adjusted

i'm excited for this game so many