Lapping or not

Due to the design/build of this unit I was wondering what your thoughts were on lapping it before install. I do not plan on heavy OC, just enough to boost performance.

x4 955 chip.

Lapping produces a flat surface. To create more surface area contact. This also aids in dissipating the heat from the processor.

Due to the design/build of this unit I was wondering what your thoughts were on lapping it before install. I do not plan on heavy OC, just enough to boost performance.

x4 955 chip.

Not needed if you are only going for a mild overclock.

Always lap! Theres no downside to it except for the warranty being voided. Better to do it now before you mount it than have to remove everything later on if you decide to push your OC further.

Always lap! Theres no downside to it except for the warranty being voided. Better to do it now before you mount it than have to remove everything later on if you decide to push your OC further.

-1 :down:

Care to explain sheldor? I've had nothing but positive experiences with lapping as long as its done carefully and properly. Theres zero negative aspect to lapping the underside of your cooler. Unless, of course, its already smoother than you could ever make it with your own sandpaper.

I disagree. With watercooling, lapping often results in worse performance than before, due to the fact that many water bocks are bowed convexly to provide more pressure on the CPU die.

But for air cooling, lapping usually helps quite a bit. I saw a 4-5C gain lapping my Phenom II 940 and Xigmatek cooler when I was still running on air.

Did you lap that i7-975? If so, you have more balls than I. Aint no way I'm voiding warranty on a 1000 dollar cpu

I didnt know that about the waterblocks, good info though.

I sure did lap it after using it for a while. The cooler I have for it (H50) doesnt lend itself to lapping well, so I could only do it to the chip. Saw an 7 degree drop at the current 4.1ghz.

Might I recommend lapping AFTER you verify that it works?

+10

If you aren't happy with the 212+ on a mild OC you go ahead but it should do fine. I think that on a heatpipe touch cooler (you know what I am trying to say) that lapping it may not affect the performance or actually make it worse. Only worry about the smoothness of the heat pipes that contact the CPU not so much the rest of the base. Good luck either way.

Care to explain sheldor? I've had nothing but positive experiences with lapping as long as its done carefully and properly. Theres zero negative aspect to lapping the underside of your cooler. Unless, of course, its already smoother than you could ever make it with your own sandpaper.

I'm probably just bias because I had a friend do it to his Phenom II 940 and...well let's say he did it wrong. :bah: