i5-750 vs. i7-860 vs. i7-930

If you "Disable" the "Intel EIST" in the BIOS, then you won't have that auto downclock! When I am Benching, I always turn it off, then whatever clock you set, that will be the 24/7 speed that your cpu runs @! However for just normal everyday use, it is good to leave the EIST enabled, if you don't need the extra power/clock then let it auto idle!!!!

Hope this helps

IMO Though, I agree that the I7 on the 1366 roadmap is a better choice! You just leave yourself more "Outs" this way down the road :)

But I kinda like the downclocking, there is no reason not to have it on if you aren't doing anything CPU intensive like browsing the web. I really can't talk though, I turned everything back up to 3.8ghz and that locks in.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am lazy, I honestly thought the Notctua was the better coolermaster. Thank you for googling that for me. :glare: I do admit I was feeling quite lazy then.

I looked on frosty tech before I posted and honestly didn't see the 212. I assumed it hadn't been tested by them... but I saw the Noctua outperform a few that I thought were better.

Well, I atleast checked out the Turbo for the guy.

Edit:My 212+ doesn't perform nearly that well. Not even close in fact.

Re-edit, if you look I posted that at 1:05am...

Re-re edit, If you look on frostytech the are 34 coolers that seperate them :O , still a lot I admit. But that is the 212 not the 212+ which I understand only have minor differences but had a different fan and in my honest opinion a smoother better base than the 212+ direct heatpipe design. Anyways I admit defeat and you are the better... advice giver.

See you even out-info'd me with your non-laziness. I didn't even know there was a regular 212 vs. a 212+ or the differences between the two.

See you even out-info'd me with your non-laziness. I didn't even know there was a regular 212 vs. a 212+ or the differences between the two.

Thank you :D Anyways, I noticed that the 212 used to be a great CPU cooler, the new improved direct touch heatpipe design seems to cool worse than the old solid copper flat base.

I think I may end up going with either the Noctua NH-U9B (as it's lower profile, will do a pretty good job, and is very quiet) or the Thermaltake Frio [larger 120mm fan (vs. 92mm on the NH-U9B), but noisier].

I highly, highly recommend pre-owned components from* reputable* sellers*. There are tons of marketplaces out there that are scores cheaper than eBay. And eBay is usually cheaper than Newegg/TD :thumbsup2:

*HIGHLY STRESSED

I kind of want to buy new, but I could look into that path. I'd need to verify my PayPal, though. I've just been adding money to PayPal via a handy dandy tool called "PayPal" connector within HyperWallet (the Credit Union's method of online payment).

I there's a good chance of me going with the i5. It'll save me some money, and down the road I could drop in an i7.

Quick question: Other than SLI/CF @ 16x/16x (vs 16x-8x), how much performance difference is there from the P55 to the X58?

*Note: I'm only using one video card in my upcoming rig, so SLI/CF doesn't much matter to me.

Heck 16x\16x vs 16x\8x is not even a reason to balk at any mobo, the performance increase is something like 2< so that shld really never make or break a choice! The reason to go with the 1366(X58)chipset over the 1156 (P55) is the fact that 1156 is what it is. Intel will most definately put money into the 1366 tech, and the 1156 will die. So down the road, you would have much more options for upgrading, if that is a thought, which in PC's it should always be, since future-proofing is impossible, you shld always still make an attempt if the money is close! Which, the $$$ here is kinda close, so IMO it's a no brainer to go with technology that can be upped in the future!

Nothing against the i5 or i7 1156's, nice setups, just my opinion!

Don't listen to me though, I'm just an addict :)

Everyone has an opinion that in one sense or another is valid- your statement is no exception. It is indeed helpful. You make a couple of really good points.

However... I am a man of indecision and now I'm contemplating going with an AMD processor now that more 800 series chipsets are out. Maybe a good AMD870 board with a GTX470. I could maybe even drop in a 6 core Thuban CPU... Though I don't think I'd need anything more than a Phenom II X4 955.

However, Intel does seem to have better CPUs. I REALLY need to just pick and stick with something.

Heck 16x\16x vs 16x\8x is not even a reason to balk at any mobo, the performance increase is something like 2< so that shld really never make or break a choice! The reason to go with the 1366(X58)chipset over the 1156 (P55) is the fact that 1156 is what it is. Intel will most definately put money into the 1366 tech, and the 1156 will die. So down the road, you would have much more options for upgrading, if that is a thought, which in PC's it should always be, since future-proofing is impossible, you shld always still make an attempt if the money is close! Which, the $$$ here is kinda close, so IMO it's a no brainer to go with technology that can be upped in the future!

Nothing against the i5 or i7 1156's, nice setups, just my opinion!

Don't listen to me though, I'm just an addict :)

actually 1366 is dieing off, and is being replaced by 2066, and 1156 is being replaced by 1155

actually 1366 is dieing off, and is being replaced by 2066, and 1156 is being replaced by 1155

All sockets are always "dying off". If you don't play with them in the mean time and always wait for what's next, you'll never have a rig :cheers: