i5-750 vs. i7-860 vs. i7-930

To start off, this rig will primarily be used for gaming, web browsing, and other general usages (word processing, a little video editing, etc). The processor will be coupled with an NVIDIA GTX470.

The thing is, I am having trouble deciding. I'm trying to save money, and I don't know if I'd realistically need all the power of an i7, with its 8 threads and all.

The i5-750 is the cheapest but also the slowest (though I don't know that 2.66GHz with 4 threads running at once is really "slow" at all). All the processors do have Intel Turbo-Boost, increasing the CPU speed when fewer threads are being used.

The i7-860 and i7-930 honestly seem to be pretty close in performance. Though the i7-930 can be placed on an X58 board.

So... yeah. Can someone help me decide? :P

...And a couple side questions that I always seem to have...

1. Has Intel Turbo Boost been known to cause problems of any kind?

2. Can Turbo-Boost be modified, changed, disabled, etc. through either the BIOS or Windows?

Thanks again, OCC. Now if only someone could do my Bio project for me. I HATE typing research papers. >.> I kid, I kid. I hate research papers, but I don't want someone to write it for me. :P I can only imagine the teacher's reaction when the paper is signed "The Internet."

Edited by Miek

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you snoop around, you can score a 920 for pretty damn cheap, like $200 or even $180 i've seen them for. Or if you live near a microcenter you can pick a 920 up or 930 up for 200 & less.

doing the same kind of searching, you can find used x58 boards for pretty cheap as well. I know R1P5AW has a few x58 boards on hand, see if he'll sell you one :P

and yes, turbo boost can be changed & disabled

Here is what you have

i5 750 4 cores 4 threads Dual channel memory

i7 860 4 cores W/Hyperthreading for a total of 8 threads Dual channel memory

i7 930 4 cores W/ Hyperthreading for 8 total threads Triple channel memory

All three of them OC like stink.

I say i7 930

I live nowhere near a Microcenter, unfortunately.

If you have family that lives by one they can ship it for probably around $15 depending on how far.

To start off, this rig will primarily be used for gaming, web browsing, and other general usages (word processing, a little video editing, etc). The processor will be coupled with an NVIDIA GTX470.

Prices for the i7 920 you can get for ~ $160 - $190 used. Motherboard will be about the same. You will want to overclock it to get the most out of your money and for it to be fast enough for a couple of years (4.1 GHz with 4 cores and 8 threads should last 4-5 years IMO) - that means an air cooler, most likely the Noctua NH-D14... which puts you back another $85. That's $170 (CPU) + $170 (MB) + $85 (Cooler) = $425... IF you find a good deal on the i7 920.

If the above is all that you're doing, I'd recommend going AMD. An AM2+/AM3 motherboard will put you back $65 - $100. A Phenom II x3 720 BE $105. It can overclock to 3.2 GHz no problem with the stock heatsink with a good TIM, though a good $30 air cooler will take you safely to 3.8 GHz if you don't mind applying higher voltages, or 3.6 GHz if not. $30 for an extra 400 - 600 MHz is worth it. That's $200 new, if you find a good deal. I got my latest motherboard ($100) and cpu ($105) for $150 at MicroCenter. :)

The extra $225 you save can buy you a 64GB Kingston SSDNow V-series and a 1TB Spinpoint F3.

Edited by El_Capitan

If you have family that lives by one they can ship it for probably around $15 depending on how far.

heck miek i'll go get it for ya just tell me what you want/decide on...870's and 930's are both 199.99 at the tustin microcenter...only problem is it's like a candy store an i don't want to leave....there's also a fry's over that way but the better deals are usually at the microcenter...

i had the exact same dilemma last year when the 1156's came out and finally decided for the 860 because of the memory and pcie controllers/ no northbridge...the biggest con is the 1156 line is a dead end while the i7 has longevity...

but that's just me...research well and decide what best suits you...

Here's the thing: I want to decide what I want to buy before I buy it, lol. I mean, I may well go for an i5-750 if I don't really need anything more powerful (which I'm starting to think I don't). Also, I live in Canada, so there'd be international shipping to contend with, too. That in itself might make getting it for a deal not worth it.

There isn't a Microcenter near me, but there IS a place that retails PC components supplied directly from the companies to the shop on an "as needed by the customer" basis. As in, I could walk in and say "Hey, I want x component." And then it'd come in. It's just kind of a local place, not part of a chain of anything. But it's a reputable place. Many people I know have ordered things from there and were very happy with them.

Come to think of it... I don't know why I didn't think of this... I was actually on the phone with them earlier, and they said that they'd willingly try for the best possible price. So... yeah. I guess I could do that, haha. I may be able to snag a good deal after all. :D But thanks for the offer, cjloki.

Now, back to my main question: Do I really need the power of an i7 if I'm not really sure that I'll be able to fully utilize it and make it worthwhile? While it's enticing, I'd sooner take reduced cost over bragging rights (unless I get a sweet deal, then why not go overboard).

Edited by Miek