i7 temperature question

actually, voltage will degrade a processor more than heat, but 1.4v should give you a good 5 years with adequate cooling. I've seen where people will absolutely burn out their CPU with excessive(as in not 1.4v) voltage even with sub-zero cooling

Yeah, these chips can handle the heat, it's voltage you have to worry about!

It happened to me a few times to fire up Prime95 without checking temps only to come back a while after and go "oh crap, this thing has been running at 95C". The cpu still lives strong :)

I never exceed 1.35V for long term use though

Edited by Zertz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, voltage will degrade a processor more than heat, but 1.4v should give you a good 5 years with adequate cooling. I've seen where people will absolutely burn out their CPU with excessive(as in not 1.4v) voltage even with sub-zero cooling

Most say with the new chips it doesn't but there are many theories out there. Chew and Slappa who do a lot of Phenom(AMD) testing and have a website, say that although extreme voltage will degredate a chip the temps are more harmful than the voltages for what we gennerally use for overclocking. Now, I don't have much info in relation to Intel CPU's on this issue seeing this is my 1st Intel platform I use.

I think we are saying the same thing... sorta...... It is incredible though, seeing these chips are $200 range and some now under $200, it is not as big of a deal if you do burn a chip out. At least not like when processors were $300-$500. I would however baby a i7 980 if I forked out that amount of cash...... :thumbs-up:

Zertz, NHL playoffs are here. You have to have the Stanley cup fever!

Edited by Drdeath

Most say with the new chips it doesn't but there are many theories out there. Chew and Slappa who do a lot of Phenom(AMD) testing and have a website, say that although extreme voltage will degredate a chip the temps are more harmful than the voltages for what we gennerally use for overclocking. Now, I don't have much info in relation to Intel CPU's on this issue seeing this is my 1st Intel platform I use.

I think we are saying the same thing... sorta...... It is incredible though, seeing these chips are $200 range and some now under $200, it is not as big of a deal if you do burn a chip out. At least not like when processors were $300-$500. I would however baby a i7 980 if I forked out that amount of cash...... :thumbs-up:

Zertz, NHL playoffs are here. You have to have the Stanley cup fever!

Would an h50 count as adequate cooling?

Yes, especially if you have it oriented in push-pull with two high performance fans. It might struggle to keep your i7-920 below 75C at 1.3v, but if you're already at 3.8GHz at 1.22v, you may not have trouble reaching 4GHz at <1.3v.

I gotta say, the best way to do it is test out different configurations with YOUR setup. It might like exhausting out the back more than the top. Your unique environment could have a uniquely ideal orientation.

Yes, especially if you have it oriented in push-pull with two high performance fans. It might struggle to keep your i7-920 below 75C at 1.3v, but if you're already at 3.8GHz at 1.22v, you may not have trouble reaching 4GHz at <1.3v.

I gotta say, the best way to do it is test out different configurations with YOUR setup. It might like exhausting out the back more than the top. Your unique environment could have a uniquely ideal orientation.

From what I've heard it's best to set it up as an intake, also since it's close to the top exhaust fans it doesn't really heat up the case much.

Try to loosen the mulitplier on the memory. I'm at 10 instead of 8 and that what did it for me.

I'm at 4.05 vcore 1.26. Load temps 70c. These chips are fine at stress testing at 80c for staibilty.

In real use you will not even come close to that kind of usage.

Try to loosen the mulitplier on the memory. I'm at 10 instead of 8 and that what did it for me.

I'm at 4.05 vcore 1.26. Load temps 70c. These chips are fine at stress testing at 80c for staibilty.

In real use you will not even come close to that kind of usage.

That would really mess up the timings though, wouldn't it? (has them set to auto) Unless the multiplier and clock are inversely proportionate with RAM?

That would really mess up the timings though, wouldn't it? (has them set to auto) Unless the multiplier and clock are inversely proportionate with RAM?

Not if I remember correctly. It would drop the mem speeds while allowing you to set the cpu multiplier to 21.

After that you start raising the memory speeds. If you look at my sig. you can my memory speeds and proc. speed.

Mine has been set for awhile but I think thats what I did. Before that I could not get to 4. nothing stable.

Not if I remember correctly. It would drop the mem speeds while allowing you to set the cpu multiplier to 21.

After that you start raising the memory speeds. If you look at my sig. you can my memory speeds and proc. speed.

Mine has been set for awhile but I think thats what I did. Before that I could not get to 4. nothing stable.

Oh I see, I'll give it a shot then. Thanks for your help guys, now I think I can get 4GHz without any problems.