i7 temperature question

Oh I see, I'll give it a shot then. Thanks for your help guys, now I think I can get 4GHz without any problems.

Let us how it come out for you. Good luck. :thumbs-up:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us how it come out for you. Good luck. :thumbs-up:

I think it was stable, but I'm not sure since I had set realtemp to shut my computer down if the temps reach 80, but that was after nearly an hour. I'll run some more tests and keep you posted.

Edited by Baronofcheese

I think it was stable, but I'm not sure since I had set realtemp to shut my computer down if the temps reach 80, but that was after nearly an hour. I'll run some more tests and keep you posted.

It was stable, I just ran a stress test with the same settings after turning off the overheat protection in realtemp. 2 Hours of prime95 and nothing happened and the temps didn't exceed 80. Thanks for your help guys ^_^

Yes, especially if you have it oriented in push-pull with two high performance fans. It might struggle to keep your i7-920 below 75C at 1.3v, but if you're already at 3.8GHz at 1.22v, you may not have trouble reaching 4GHz at <1.3v.

I gotta say, the best way to do it is test out different configurations with YOUR setup. It might like exhausting out the back more than the top. Your unique environment could have a uniquely ideal orientation.

agreed on the push/pull, but with 2 high performance fans, I stay under 70C on load!

From what I've heard it's best to set it up as an intake, also since it's close to the top exhaust fans it doesn't really heat up the case much.

This is just tough with most cases!

Although this would be a great way to setup the H50, with cold fresh air running over the radiator, because of its size and length of the water tubes, I found it impossible in either my Antec 1200 or 900. I originally did want to install the radiator in the front of my case intaking fresh air, but that was not an option:

#1 The tubes from the heatsink base to the radiator are not long enough, and being a self-contained unit, it's not like you can just go buy longer tubes!

#2 Even if the tubes would have been long enough, the radiator is about 3/4" longer than a 120mm fan on both the top and bottom, so it would have taken some serious modding on my part to make that work! The only other option I had was to take one of the exhaust fans on the back of my 1200 and flip it around intaking it instead, which would have changed the air-flow of my case, and that was something I was not willing to do.

So to be honest, the push/pull setup on the H50 is really the best option, unless you have an intake fan on your case that is close enough for the hoses to reach! What I did was just pick up a couple of Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm fans that move over 125cfm and called it a day! Although it sounds like a small jet taking off when I start my beast up, my cpu can easily hit in the 4.2-4.4GHz range and stays pretty cool, idling in the mid 30's, with loads in the low 60's when I'm at my 24/7 overclock of 3.45GHz from the 2.8GHz stock. I haven't pushed my cpu to the 4.4GHz range in around a month, as I only do my extreme overclocking while benching. But, I will be having another bench session middle of this coming week, when I start tweaking my new 5870 CF setup, so if anyone wants to see some temps when I'm up over 4GHz, I can always post them when I'm finished!

I am a BIG fan of my H50 with the push/pull setup I have though!!!

agreed on the push/pull, but with 2 high performance fans, I stay under 70C on load!

At what voltage. That is the determining factor for performance on any cooling not just a plain temp. At 1.25v that would not be knocking down the door but at 1.4v it would.

Op if you can afford a custom watercooling setup it is a better alternative than H50. H50 performs about the same as high end air cooling. You may want to go that route. With push and pull you are creating more noise and defeating the watercooling purpose.

Edited by Drdeath

Another purpose of the H50 is to save space. With one 120mm fan sized radiator and a CPU block, it takes up less space than any high end air cooler and DEFINITELY less than any internal water cooling setup I've ever seen.

Considering how much space the H50 takes up, I think it performs admirably. If you don't mind the noise of two ultra kazes then you'll get some amazing temps regardless of space.

Another purpose of the H50 is to save space. With one 120mm fan sized radiator and a CPU block, it takes up less space than any high end air cooler and DEFINITELY less than any internal water cooling setup I've ever seen.

Considering how much space the H50 takes up, I think it performs admirably. If you don't mind the noise of two ultra kazes then you'll get some amazing temps regardless of space.

The fan noise isn't very high pitched I've found, I mean it's loud, but for a frequent flier not unpleasantly so. Add a headset to the mix and you wont even notice.