i5750 4 threads BEATS overclocked i7920 8 threads

How do I disable hyperthreading?! (not turbo! I already did that...)

Waco said to disable hyperthreading, but I can not figure out how to do this!

Also, maybe it's because it's a C0, but now I can't set the multiplier to 21... it will only go down from default 20, not up.

Setting it to 19 and increasing my BCLK to 190 appears to give me lower temps (never more than 74*)... but still at 3.61Ghz... I wish for min. 3.8Ghz! so I will look into better ventilation... I have some ideas to poke some more holes in the case. ;)

I followed this review on Overclocker's club because it's the same mobo/cpu I have! (msi x58 platinum)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once you disable Intel Turbo Mode you lose the x21 multiplier on the i7 920. however you can compensate for that by putting a hard stop on your cpu multiplier (i.e. change the "auto" multiplier to say..... 20 and set your BLCK to 185. that will give you an effective cpu overclock of 3.70Ghz. if you go this route make sure that you use the appropriate memory divider to prevent your resulting memory frequency from going way above it's rated speed. leave Intel Speed Step enabled and your processor will still clock down when at idle or low load conditions.

Disable HyperThreading in the BIOS. It is usually found under advance configuration options/cpu options. Many times it is just called HT.

Edited by wevsspot

:thumbs-up: OK... RESULTS ARE IN!!! i7's kickin' some tail!

got the i7 at 3.62Ghz (stuck here I'm afraid due to low-end ram limitations)

I think there were a few errors in the i5 render times before... these are much more like what I expected. :rolleyes:

I had my friend re-run the tests again 3 times each to verify the numbers.

This o.c. for the i7 also shaved off some more seconds. B:)

>>>Temps on i7o.c. never above 70*C for these test<<< (was running at 82*C at stock before installing Noctua D14 cooler)

Two machines rendering same scene:

CPU	 Clock(GHz)	Cores	 Threads	  Scene		  Render Time (m:s)   "<-" signifies "winner"  

i5		2.67 GHz	  4		  4		   A			 0:46
i7		2.67 Ghz	  4		  8		   A			 0:41	11% faster than i5stock
i7oc	  3.62 Ghz	  4		  8		   A			 0:30<- 34.8% faster than i5  27% faster than i7stock

i5		2.67 GHz	  4		  4		   B			 2:23
i7		2.67 Ghz	  4		  8		   B			 2:08	10.5% faster than i5stock
i7oc	  3.62 Ghz	  4		  8		   B			 1:29<-  37.8% faster than i5  30%  faster than i7stock

i5		2.67 GHz	  4		  4		   C			 4:23
i7		2.67 Ghz	  4		  8		   C			 3:42	10% faster than i5stock
i7oc	  3.62 Ghz	  4		  8		   C			 2:35<- 41.1% faster than i5   30% faster than i7stock

i5		2.67 GHz	  4		  4		   D			 0:34
i7		2.67 Ghz	  4		  8		   D			 0:29	15% faster than i5stock
i7oc	  3.62 Ghz	  4		  8		   D			 0:19<- 44.2% faster than i5	34.5% faster than i7stock

i5		2.67 GHz	  4		  4		   E			 5:59
i7		2.67 Ghz	  4		  8		   E			 5:00	16.4% faster than i5stock
i7oc	  3.62 Ghz	  4		  8		   E			 3:39<-- 39% faster than i5  27% faster than i7stock

Average speed increase of overclocked i7 vs core i5 2.66 stock is 39.4% speed increase for render times. NOT as good as I expected, but still very satisfying. When I get better RAM, should be able to push this puppy to 4 or more.

• 1 year later...

A year overclocked at 3.62Ghz, and still going strong! :evilgrin:

2-3 years ago, when I bought this machine, DDR3 RAM was so expensive, but today I can get 12Gb of DDR3 1600 for cheap!

It's now 2012, and my 3Gb of slow RAM are just not cutting it. (they were ok for a while)

So, my mobo is: msi x58 Platinum = http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_x58_platinum/8.htm

MSI specs say

• Supports six unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333*/1600* (OC) DRAM, 24GB Max

- Supports 1Gb/ 2Gb/ 4Gb DRAM size

- Supports x8 / x16 data lines per DIMM

- Supports up to 3 channel mode

I read in some forums that this mobo only recognizes 8Gb is that true?

I was going to buy

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

can I overclock this RAM?

is there any reason you know of I should not get this, but would advise using some other RAM? (90$ on NewEgg)

Get the mushkin radioactive kit on newegg. Its also ddr3 1600 and overclocks something unfair compaired to Other ram. I'm pretty sure you can get a few different variants Or it but its cheap and overclocks well.

Hmmmm. Maybe I posted this a little late.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you d6bmg and medbor for your posts,

Hmmmm. Maybe I posted this a little late.

:cheers: well, better late than never. I appreciate all advice.

I did install the RAM, but not without challenges.

The main one is that the system is not very stable now, crashed a minute ago even while just writing this post to overclockersclub :whistling:

2. I used MSI Live Update to update the BIOS to the latest and greatest. Then I had to update the sound drivers.
  3. I had to start in basically safe mode with one stick, and switch the RAM profile to "Profile 1" which I have no idea what it is, but that worked, and let my RAM be recognized at 1600.
  4. I then, after successful boot to windows and seeing that the 4Gb was working ok, seen at 1600, and I was able to render something in my 3D rendering program, I shut down and added the other 2 sticks of 4 each.
  5. Upon reboot, it failed.
  6. Then I shut it down manually, rebooted... and it just worked. I have no idea why. :dunno:
  7. Now I have temporarily switched the little "Easy OC" switch to "on" on my MSI x58 board to get a little overclock until I can dig around in the BIOS and try to get this thing clocked right. It "easy" clocked it from 2.66 up to an underwhelming 2.78. But perhaps this is why the RAM is faulting/unstable?

I am aiming for a stable 4Ghz. I've been at 3.62 for a long time now. I wonder if 4 is too much to ask?

I needed more RAM anyway, so was hoping faster RAM would help me get this oc'd up to 4... any advice overclocking this RAM on my board is appreciated.