Nvidia GTX 480 Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:withstupid: Back in Oct07, I spent $600 (after S&H and tax) for the EVGA 8800GTX KO.

still goin' strong no doubt, ...mine still works great, it wasn't quite that expensive, but i thot it was the $hizzle back then...

I paid $799 for the 8800 Ultra :lol:

dang

10.2's were used for the ATI cards? The official 10.3's are on AMD's website with substantial performance increases for the 5xxx series, but I'm sure you had your reasons for using the 10.2's. Also for the people who say the FERMI cards were designed to compete with the 5xxx series, do you think it is smart then for nVidia be 6 months late the DX11 dance and only make a card that can hang with the 5870? It really comes down to this: ATI = performance, quiet, cool / nVidia = 17% better performance, loud, power hog(heat) - also the price between the two.

It all comes down to time and the 10.3s were still beta when I was running my testing so WHQL drivers are used not beta's. ATI does = performance Cool= depends, Quiet = not really Spool them both up and its about equal with the ATI cooler being more pitchy and annoying

Nvidia A 17% boost in performance is huge , Loud = No worse than the 5870 as noted above at 100% fan speeds Power Hog meh If you are worried about the consumption for the 5-8 hours a day you have the computer on you need to worry about something else really

So a 17% boost in performance per your numbers is not worth 70 bucks?

Hey Frank, did you have any power consumption numbers from other cards? It looks like it's real bad. Look here, here or here. Both Neoseeker and Legit Reviews measured its power usage to be comparable to the dual-GPU and much stronger HD5970, whereas [H]ard OCP puts it at a whole 68W higher than an HD5870 CrossfireX setup. Holy Kangaroo!!! :blink:

Its in the conclusion but right around the boards TDP 451 watts total for the system.

Ya I think its supposed be here on Monday.

Sweet :thumbs-up:

Edit: Seems that there is already a 480 FTW by EVGA, just in hydro copper flavor

Edited by Harima

On a bright note its good I waited on 5870s since I see a price drop in the foreseeable future. :D

I don't believe the price drop will be anytime near term. Neither the 470 nor the 480 gives AMD any reason to lower prices on the 5850 or 5870. Limited availability of the two cards for who knows how long will only add to the delay in any type of price drop. At the present time not only is AMD setting the prices for their cards but are also forcing the price point at which nVidia will sell theirs at. Any price drop that would make sense at this time would be on the 5970. If availability could be improved and the card sold at $50.00 less then the current suggested retail price the 480 would be pretty much dead in the water. Doubtful we will see this though as just with the 480 any card that can carry the performance crown for it's category will be sold at a higher price then reason would dictate. The one wild card in all this is the 2GB version of the 5870. Depending on performance and price it could shake up the whole apple cart.

It seems like once these are physically/electronically optimized a bit (non-refernce boards/design and gigantic aftermarket coolers) and a few revisions of drivers come out that this should be even better!

Still quite a few years before I'll ever have one though... :(

Thats my upgrade schedule for ya.

Edited by Andrewr05

still goin' strong no doubt, ...mine still works great, it wasn't quite that expensive, but i thot it was the $hizzle back then...

I've since upgraded, but for other reasons. But you're right, it'd still be going strong to this day, and you wouldn't be able to say that about a $200 card. I mean, I was able to max out Batman: Arkham Asylum at 1680x1050 with Full PhysX on a two-year old card. It may have been a lot of money, but if it kept me happy all this time, I'd say it was worth it :)

I STILL say that these are g200's that were pumped with more power and with added shader cores

(and what's with power consumption being a pro?? :huh:)

Then you sir are terribly mis informed and have not read a single thing about the new architecture!

Then you sir are terribly mis informed and have not read a single thing about the new architecture!

I'm just saying that the performance hike was directly in line with how far ahead the 200 series was away from the 4000's. (I know that they aren't gt200s but they just feel like em)

And I'm still wondering why power consumption was a pro :P