Battle Royale: Corsair H50 vs Noctua NH-D14

R1P5AW

what temps are u getting with the h50 ? maybe i can buy ur h50 :thumbs-up:

Lol we'll see what it comes down to after testing.

I'm hitting 79 degrees on my hottest core on LinX 20 runs (hottest temp of all stress testing)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was actually being semi serious this time <_<

you see, when water reaches a certain temperature point its ability to dissipate heat through the radiator will reach an equilibrium with the amount of heat the system is absorbing. if the equilibrium is shifted in the wrong way, such as under full load as compared to boot up, the result is the overall temperature will increase until equilibrium is once again reached. now, with an air system the difference is that you have an unlimited supply of air that should always be around ambient room temperature where as the water system is confined to its water tank reservoir and the one issue here is the h50 has a relatively small reservoir.

I was actually being semi serious this time <_<

you see, when water reaches a certain temperature point its ability to dissipate heat through the radiator will reach an equilibrium with the amount of heat the system is absorbing. if the equilibrium is shifted in the wrong way, such as under full load as compared to boot up, the result is the overall temperature will increase until equilibrium is once again reached. now, with an air system the difference is that you have an unlimited supply of air that should always be around ambient room temperature where as the water system is confined to its water tank reservoir and the one issue here is the h50 has a relatively small reservoir.

Lolumwat?

What matters to me and probably everyone here (with the exception of potatohead) is how it performs and what the CPU temps are at idle and under load.

Noctua NH-D14 will beat the H50 by 7 degrees under load, don't care about idle. Even more above 4.0 Ghz. Yep, just a guess.

After you get your results, I'd like to see a comparison to Rourkchris's setup too :)

Battle of the 920 coolers!!!

I know Ripsaw already knows this is false, but for anyone reading this thread, watercooling transfers heat to the air with the heat exchanger being the radiator instead of the heatsink fins, and water instead of heatpipe vapour/gas...

it's not related to the water reservoir at all, the cooling performance is almost entirely the performance of the radiator/fans, as the block and pump and reservoir will make relatively minor differences (assuming you don't use something crap like Thermaltake)

if you view the H50 as a heatsink (the 120mm radiator) with liquid pipes for heatpipes, it is a much better simplification of what it is, and really the effectiveness of the radiator versus the heatsink fins, and water pipes vs heatpipes, should prove to be fairly close (I would guess?)

Lol we'll see what it comes down to after testing.

I'm hitting 79 degrees on my hottest core on LinX 20 runs (hottest temp of all stress testing)

Did you remove the metal backing plate from the original CPU mount and use the plastic one that came with the H-50? When I did that the temps on my OCd P II X4 965 running @ 4 Ghz went down 15c. YMMV. My temps @ 100% running BOINC are 55c +/- 2c.

i7s tend to run hot anyway so IMHO mid 70s is not bad.

Did you remove the metal backing plate from the original CPU mount and use the plastic one that came with the H-50? When I did that the temps on my OCd P II X4 965 running @ 4 Ghz went down 15c. YMMV. My temps @ 100% running BOINC are 55c +/- 2c.

i7s tend to run hot anyway so IMHO mid 70s is not bad.

Hmm..my version didn't come with a plastic backing plate, just the metal one on there...