Battle Royale: Corsair H50 vs Noctua NH-D14

R1P5AW

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess the AMD boards are different. When I originally installed the H-50 on mine I didn't remove the mobo from the case and used the original backing plate. My temps were only 5-6c lower than the stock HSF. I pulled the mobo out of the case and replaced the metal backing plate with the plastic one supplied with the H-50. My temps went down another 15c. I pulled the side cover off my i7 box and the back of that mobo looks very similar to your pic so I'm guessing that small metal looking plate stays even when using the plastic mount for the H-50. Seems to me that metal around the CPU is going to retain heat but it looks like that's the way it is for an i7. The best cooling configuration I have found for the H-50 is pulling air from outside across the radiator with a second fan in the front pulling air in and a third fan top mounted for exhaust. No rear fan used. Also your cable management and video cards etc will have an effect on the temps. If it's only a matter of a few degrees I would go with the H-50 rather than have a large HSF hanging on the mobo. JMHO

I guess the AMD boards are different. When I originally installed the H-50 on mine I didn't remove the mobo from the case and used the original backing plate. My temps were only 5-6c lower than the stock HSF. I pulled the mobo out of the case and replaced the metal backing plate with the plastic one supplied with the H-50. My temps went down another 15c. I pulled the side cover off my i7 box and the back of that mobo looks very similar to your pic so I'm guessing that small metal looking plate stays even when using the plastic mount for the H-50. Seems to me that metal around the CPU is going to retain heat but it looks like that's the way it is for an i7. The best cooling configuration I have found for the H-50 is pulling air from outside across the radiator with a second fan in the front pulling air in and a third fan top mounted for exhaust. No rear fan used. Also your cable management and video cards etc will have an effect on the temps. If it's only a matter of a few degrees I would go with the H-50 rather than have a large HSF hanging on the mobo. JMHO

Oh okay. Yeah I'm using the plastic backplate supplied by corsair. To me, I don't really care about size considering I'm in a HAF 932 case. I just want the lowest temps so I can push my chip to 4.2..

After you get your results, I'd like to see a comparison to Rourkchris's setup too :)

Battle of the 920 coolers!!!

My #s are posted. I'd like to see it too. Good luck and I hope you beat mine.

Are you at 4.3GHz 24/7? What volts/temps you at?

Sick rig BTW :thumbs-up:

No I stay at 4.0Ghz 24/7 @ 1.275v. I can run it at 4.312Ghz stable but I don't need the few extra Mhz. I can run at 4.63Ghz for some benchmarks but it's not completely stable.