Intel Core i7 980X Tested

Bosco

for gaming i vote usless... sure on some of the programs it runs faster.. generally seconds faster, and it benches way above the comp, but is that worth 700-800 dollars more than a current quadcore.. thats for you to decide. maybe as more 6(12core hyperthreading?) programs/games come along it will be more useful.. but the including cooling solution is awesome. in the end way to go intel for some pretty cool technology.. even if it is exspensive

I think you need to remember the fact that technology always changes so as soon as a new hardware(cpu) comes out (specially from intel, that 35% give or take better then i7 975) everybody is gonna start making games and software that will use it to its full potential. Once they do that then those new games wont be so cool on a quad-core. it can do all that the quad can do with potential to go way further. Im getting this bad boy because its gonna be same price as i7 975, but with a bonus 2 cores that like shopping at the store and seeing a sign that says "Buy 4 cores get 2 free"

hefty price but its a hefty piece of hardware. TOTALLY WORTH IT and INTELL knows it, and it works with existing x58 mobos hell yea that sounds good

Im thinking EVGA X58 classified 4x Sli with 12gb Ram and quad sli setup with one BFG running PhysX.raid 1 setup on a 2 solid state 256gb, water cooled and a bunch of 30" monitors, that is a dream machine for me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quad cores have been out for how long now? 2 or 3 years? And they still barely help in games, what makes you think 6-cores will help in games any time soon?

You have to be forward thinking to understand where and when it will help. There are new games coming that take advantage if more than four cores I will look for and publish the list I have.

+1 the only people who are going to be buying this initially are benchmark whores, trustfund babies, people that do intense video/audio encoding, and the odd F@H member with money to burn :bah::foldon:

Or cruncher with deep pockets. Can't imagine the scores with that puppy running @ 100% on BOINC. :O

:withstupid: